Thread: Film holders and Photobackpacker

Film holders and Photobackpacker

I remember trying to order the film holders that hang on the tripod from Gnass Gear and lens cases but eventually gave up.

I’m glad that I ended up with the Photobackpacker lens cases instead because they can be Velcro’d together if one desires one long case, or single lenses can be carried. They can also be attached to the back board in the pack, which I don’t use as I have a non-folding camera.
    FWIW, the Kelty 3100 backpack is very well designed to carry a heavy load long distances with the weight properly set on the hips without it being a full size multi day pack. I bought mine after looking at many backpacks prior to learning about Photobackpacker. The side loading feature is also nice.

What I am interested in finding out is how well others like the film holders that hang on the tripod? Most of the time I just roll out a garbage bag and set all my gear on it but the dirt, dust and sand easily gets into things when the wind gusts. I have also watched in horror / amusement as sand ran into my Quickload holder that got blow onto the sand dune.

1. Do the film holder cases that hang on the tripod work well or is there a simpler and better solution? Getting the gear off the ground sounds like a good idea when it’s windy.
    2. If the holders do work well is there an optimal design and capacity etc. that Photobackpacker could make and sell? and are there many people that would be interested in buying them?
    3. Is it possible that a couple of holders that attach to a belt (quick release) may work well?, the idea being that not having things that can be moved by wind gusts hanging from the tripod may potentially avoid tripod / camera shake? I’ve noticed the belt mounted holders that the UPS people use for their barcode scanners which are about the right size. My thoughts are to possibly have the film holders attach to the pack, or go in the pack during hiking, and then clip onto a belt (up off the ground) during shooting?

Any feedback and ideas would be appreciated and it wouldn’t surprise me if there is a simple solution that I’ve been overlooking.
    TIA
    Last edited by Dave Jeffery; 5-Nov-2008 at 03:20. Reason: typo

Re: Film holders and Photobackpacker

I've started using Lowepro Sliplock 60 AW cases. They hold about 5 darkslides and have a fold-away all-weather cover. They can be mounted onto Lowepro and Tamrac packs but also come with a shoulder strap which means that you can hang them over a tripod or simply over your shoulder!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jeffery View Post
    1. Do the film holder cases that hang on the tripod work well or is there a simpler and better solution? Getting the gear off the ground sounds like a good idea when it’s windy.
    IMHO it is never a good idea to set your equipment on the ground. Not even on a small tarp on the ground. Your equipment will be a whole lot less dirty if you keep it away from the dirt!

I use a tripod with a center column that has a hook. I hang my Gnass Gear film holder cases from this, and also my backpack. The added weight makes the tripod that much more sturdy. I use a knee to keep the pack from swinging in extreme conditions.

My film holders in particular never touch the ground. In fact the way I work on location they never touch anything other than my right hand or the camera. They live their lives in ziplock bags unless they are in the camera. The ziplock bagged holders live in the film holder case, and the film holder case either hangs from the tripod or it's in the backpack.

I'd much rather work like this than spend another minute of my life dust busting!

Bruce Watson

FWIW I've never thought of hanging cases off the tripod. I could be mistaken but I'd be concerned about vibrations generated if wind should treat the hanging article like a sail. If I were going to hang anything off a tripod in the wind I'd probably go for a burlap sack full of rocks (for stability)...nah! If it was that windy I'd go home! It does sound like a good idea in boggy terrain though.

I just set my pack on the ground (if theres not something like a rock or tree stump handy) and work out it.
    I've had no problems so far.

If you are shooting 4x5s I'd bet one of those canvas aprons they sell at lumber stores for keeping nails handy (or perhaps a trap shooter's vest) might be a useful accesory for holding film holders.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Smile Re: Film holders and Photobackpacker

You can use a pair of army paints with large pockets to carry film holders.

The Gnass packs for regular film holders or the other pack for Readiloads work very well. I have a Berlebach tripod with a leveling head. The large knob for the leveling head is a perfect place to hang the pack and it works great.

I usually put my pack on the ground. Depending on the terrain, the ground is usually "clean." However, if the ground is wet or unsatisfactory in some way, I use a cut portion of a space blanket which is waterproof and very light weight. I fold it up to keep the crud on the outside. I made the size large enough to fold over the pack if it rains or snows.

The Gnass pack for film holders is two holders wide and I believe 4 holders deep and folds up/down accordion style. A lot of sewing, but not too hard I would think. Well worth it.

Thanks everyone!

Kinesis Gear sent me an email today and I found this film holder pouch which looks good for up to seven holders. There is a 10 –15% sale on at the moment making it close to the Lowepro price.

http://www.kgear.com/f/F500.html

Here is the Lowepro case that Paul mentioned the SlipLock-Pouch-60-AW which is slightly heavier but padded and weatherproof at the top.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/...60-AW,2041.htm

Since hanging the pack from the tripod works well for Bruce I’ll try it as well and I’ll also probably just hang the film holder case on the tripod, or fasten it with a quick release to the outside of the pack.
    If attaching the film holder to the pack or tripod is not good for some reason I’ll work on a good shoulder strap, or a belt mount that doesn’t interfere with donning the backpack quickly for the occasions when I’m running with the tripod and camera to shoot another angle.

This thread also brought to mind that there have been a number of instances where I have been shooting on the edge of a hill or cliff and I’ll also start carrying a small line to run from my tripod to my pack, which will be placed away from the cliff, as an added safety measure.

Thanks all! It’s time to reconfigure things a little