Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How is Zion color this fall?

How is Zion color this fall?

My wife and I are heading to Zion and while I have a link that "shows" color conditions, I'm not convinced the information is accurate. All of the related thing seem to all point to 2004...So I'm not even sure what they say is even from this year.

If anyone can give me an idea of the color conditions, I'd appreciate it!

Thank you.
    Randy

www.quietlight.us

Re: How is Zion color this fall?

I spoke to one of the visitor center rangers on Monday, and she told me that the fall colors in the valley had not peaked yet. She suggested visiting next week.

They had previously pointed me to a southern Utah fall colors link (http://www.scenicsouthernutah.com/fa...r_report.shtml) which includes a web cam. But like you I prefer talking to live folks; I don't want to schedule a trip without knowing exactly what is going on!

Quote Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
    My wife and I are heading to Zion and while I have a link that "shows" color conditions, I'm not convinced the information is accurate. All of the related thing seem to all point to 2004...So I'm not even sure what they say is even from this year.

Thank you.
    Randy

www.quietlight.us
    We went through Arches a few weeks ago, and looking over to Colorado it looked like most everything was finishing up colorwise . . . a few weeks later this year, in some places I heard even 3 to 4 weeks behind average. . .

Thank you.
    Randy

www.quietlight.us

I have been there several times in the past on the last week(end) of October and each time color has been at its peak. But last time I visited was at the end of first full week in November (around this time) and color wasn't as intense...most leaves had fallen off the trees by then. Nevertheless, there is always something interesting to photograph in Zion.

Perhaps you might want to call Michael Fatali? ...just kidding.

bernal

Quote Originally Posted by bernal View Post

Perhaps you might want to call Michael Fatali? ...just kidding.

bernal
    No he would just tell you that the foliage is on a 73 year cycle, it's only worth shooting if you wait 73 years for it be just right... of course then you also have to wait three months for the light to be right...

I havn't been inside of Zion, but the color on the leaves along the Virgin River west of the Park, have peaked in places and in other places are still green. Some trees leaves are not turning color but just drying. There should be good color for at least another week.

Mike Hansen

Drew Wiley

There are significantly different elevations within Zion Park, and different species peak
    at different times. The aspens at the top are probably done for the season, but there's
    always some bold color in the Kolob entrance or road above the tunnel, and upper trails, well into November. The valley floor itself has never disappointed me in mid Nov,
    but the "peak" of color is all relative to what you are looking for. Just go, you'll see
    something worthwhile! And the crowds will be gone. Just be prepared for snow up on the rim.

I was there last week, 10/25-11/2. The upper east areas (above the tunnel) were a combo of prime and past prime. The Kolob area (Taylor creek, etc) was at prime two weeks ago. The main canyon was a short of peak colors as of Friday. Some trees were at prime, many were still mostly green. I would guess it is at or close to peak now, based on conditions a week ago. Subway was pretty much at peak last Thurs. I did not make it to the Narrows. Hope that helps.

Thanks everyone! I am traveling there tomorrow. I will take a pass on Mr. Fatali's advice for now...

Best to all,
    Randy

Quietlight.us

Thanks everyone! I am traveling there tomorrow. I will take a pass on Mr. Fatali's advice for now...

Best to all,
    Randy

Quietlight.us

Good luck Randy. Have fun!

bernal