Thread: How to manually add shooting data to file in Bridge?

HHChapman

How to manually add shooting data to file in Bridge?

I tried posting this in HybridPhoto without success.
    Maybe some of you can help:
    I've started scanning negatives and wonder how to manually add shooting data (f-stop, shutter speed, iso, film type etc.) to the metadata using Adobe Bridge.
    The Bridge metadata templates don't seem to have fields where this can be
    entered. The only obvious way I can see to do it is to use keywords. Awkward.
    Am I missing something?
    Thank you,
    Harlan

Re: How to manually add shooting data to file in Bridge?

Hi Harlan

This was one of the first things I asked myself when I started scanning negatives. It seems strange that none of the major packages allow editing of EXIF data. I guess it's seen to be part of the digital "negative" and os shouldn't be altered.

However there are several tools that do allow you to edit/add this data. I use PowerExif from Opanda (www.opanda.com) - I have an old version and it's a bit clunky so the latest offerings may be more sophisticated. Problem is it adds another step / tool to the workflow.

Actually I only really find it useful for 35mm and medium format where you have a large number of images and different lenses / films etc etc

With my LF stuff I only have a limited number of parameters and images and I find it sufficient just to transfer my shooting notes to one of the text fields available. THese are searchable in most applications anyway.

Another option is to set up a custom file info template for Adobe applications. These fields will then be available in Bridge and Photoshope etc (but not so far in Lighroom!)

That way you will have your f-stop, film, shutter speed etc available as separate fields. They just won't match similar data from digital exposures, but that probably doesn't matter

Re: How to manually add shooting data to file in Bridge?

I should just add that PowerExif is PC only. As I am gradually migrating all my systems to Mac, I'll be looking for another solution anyway. As I've all but given up digital, I think I'll be going down the Adobe custom File Info route