Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please...General help with traveling with Large Format

Please...General help with traveling with Large Format

Dear all, I Am leaving for Paris in a week along with my 4x5 Deardorff special. I have began looking into traveling with large format and come across a few helpful tips but i am still quite the novice as it is my first LF camera, and also my first trip using LF. Is there anyone who can help me with any useful pointers regarding any obstacles i might meet or need to consider whilst on my trip?
    Regards
    Louis

Re: Please...General help with traveling with Large Format

As a minimum, pack camera, lens(es), meter and film as carry-on. If possible, include film holders and pod. Film in original seal box if possible. If no room as carry-on, the pod should go in the check-in suitcase.

Have a bunch of fun!

Vaughn

Check out whether or not you can use a tripod in Paris, in the places you want to photograph....

Once i have exposed the film is it possible to take the film out of film holders and store in a light tight box (film box), so i can continue to re-use the film holders while away? or is it not good for exposed film to come into contact with other exposed film? and if possible can i mix film types in the same box... sorry if this sounds like a silly question...
    Cheers.

Exposed film in film box -- put a little tissue in the box to keep the film from moving around too much. I have had negatives ruined that way (granted I was on a bicycle for 5 months and riding on a lot of gravel roads). Ilford films use to come with a piece of paper between each sheet...which is nice to protect the negs from rubbing on each other.

Put card stock dividers in the box to separate the types of film.

The Deardroff Special is a lot of camera...not the lightest way to go...but a nice camera, anyway!

Take along a film changing bag.
    Reverse the lensboard and carry the lens on board your 'dorff.
    Bringing back opened boxes of exposed sheet film might be a problem---I'd consider getting the stuff processed in Paris and have it shipped home.
    It wouldn't be much fun to loose a weeks shooting in Paris because of an enthusiastic TSA employee.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

lazy retired bum

Be sure to put your film in a carry on and allow it to go through the x-ray scanner. Under no circumstances put the film in checked baggage, it will be ruined. I have traveled with iso 400 transparency film as far as Africa from the US (35mm slide, not LF) and had no discernible fogging when the film was placed in carry on baggage.

Relax and have fun in Paris.

Eric

Downstairs

There's a tripod charge and permit for Paris sidewalks but if you use a darkcloth over your head you are considered a nut and nobody will bother you.

Quote Originally Posted by louisjconnelly View Post
    Once i have exposed the film is it possible to take the film out of film holders and store in a light tight box (film box), so i can continue to re-use the film holders while away? or is it not good for exposed film to come into contact with other exposed film? and if possible can i mix film types in the same box... sorry if this sounds like a silly question...
    Cheers.
    I routinely do just that.

I work in b/w using the Zone System. I take along three empty film boxes marked N, N-, and N+. I also have several of the black plastic bags that film comes in. And I carry a changing bag just in case the bathroom in the hotel has a window and can't be totally darkened for changing film. Finally, I also take along a role of blue painter's tape - I use this to seal the boxes for the trip home.

Unexposed film, empty boxes, and the changing bag go in a carry-on bag and goes through normal carry-on scanning. Yes, it is possible (in the US) to ask for a hand search, but evidence suggests that a couple of passes through carry-on screening is not result in noticeable damage to film, while asking inspectors who are familiar with digital and 35mm and not at all familiar with sheet film could be asking for trouble.

I put exposed film in plastic bags before I put it in a film box for two reasons. First, this provides an extra measure of protection for the film, both against physical damage and against the possibility of the box being inadvertently opened along the way. Second, this makes it possible to do a further differentiation between N-1 and N-2 exposures. I mark the bags using small self-adhesive rubber 'bumps' normally intended to be applied to the bottom of things to prevent them from scratching fine furniture or hardwood floors - one bump for the N-1 bag, two bumps for the N-2 bag.

i just did a trip to utah last month. i carried my 8x10, 4x5 (chamonix) and mamiya RB on board with me. i packed a bit of film to carry on. NYC was no problems. coming back the TSA in SLC just wanted to look at the cameras. they took a peak in, swabbed it and sent me on my way. all were very nice.

i shipped my film ahead of me just because i had no room in my carry on! tripod in my checked bag along with extra boxes and empty film holders. i took 10 8x10 holders and a few more in 4x5. i shot 100 sheets of both 4x5 and 8x10 in 15 days of shooting.

i would suggest you just let the carry on x ray machine "look" at your film. just be nice and talk with the security people....just prep them on what you have and what that means...i kind of say that is film and camera stuff and we can not open the film boxes...this is BEFORE i ever get my bag on the table. i have had no problems in any of the countries i have traveled in.

ship your film if you like. i shipped my exposed film home only because i was worried i was going to accidentally open the box and ruin my own film! so i taped it shut and shipped it home.

have fun.

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery