Thread: Newbie in digital LF needs advice ...

Newbie in digital LF needs advice ...

Hi,
    I´m Florian from Austria und I plan to step in to digital Large Format Photography.
    It’s quite complicated for someone how shoots DSLR only. So there are a lot of things I don’t know, like Standards (Format, Compatibility …), Different Manufacturers, Lens-quality and so on.

Maybe if I tell you what I want to do, somebody can give me advice for my first steps …

Why I´m switching to LF/MF ?

My intension is Image Quality. There is no way a Canon Fullframe Sensor can reach the Image Quality of a Digital Back. I´m really disappointed with the quality I produce with my 1 DsMKII and Canon L-Lenses since I saw what is possible with MF/LF .

What I want to do is buying a Mamyia/Phase One AFD III with a P45 or Leaf Aptus II 6 DB. It’s a Bundle with an 80mm Lens. That gives me the Opportunity to shoot MF too. As addition for my Landscape, Nature und architectural work I´m thinking of buying a Camera like the Linhof Tecno, Master Technika 3000 or a Cambo Wide.

First question: Leaf or Phase One ?
    I cannot afford a brand new DB, so I have to stay with one of the mentioned Backs (refurbished)

Second Question: do I need Scheimpflug for Landscape work ? Because the Cambo Wide only offers shift … so it would be interesting if the Scheimpflug rule is important for Landscape and Nature. I like pictures with lots of DOF.

Lenses:
    I like to shoot WA ( 16 – 35 mm on DSLR), are there Lenses available for Digital LF ? I guess yes, how can I calculate the focal length (DSLR-LF)
    I´m totally confused about the different Mounting Systems and Crop-Factors … If Phase One is writing 1,1 is it 1,1 for MF and LF ? For Linhof and Cambo ?

What would you do in my situation ?

Thanks for your Help!

Florian

Re: Newbie in digital LF needs advice ...

Hi Florian,
    You should post your question to Luminous Landscape forum... few of them are DB/MF/gadgets freaks
    Regards
    Michal
    Michal Makowski