Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: An old tired Horse called the Lounge

Re: An old tired Horse called the Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Speaking for myself, this forum has lost most of the attraction it once had with killing The Lounge and the palpable slide toward apug-like rigidity.

True. There is no way I can seperate the spiritual, evolution, and my world view from my work. In the Lounge, or elsewhere on the board.

I am not complaining. In the end, who cares, right? LF is dead anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Deane Johnson View Post
    It seems to me that people who are here only for political discussion in the lounge probably shouldn't be here in the first place.
    Deane, you seem to be missing the point. I think most of the people here don't want to talk only about politics or religion. I think the real issue at hand is saying " you can ONLY talk about Large Format related topics. Putting limits on creative individuals is like pouring water on a fire and frankly it becomes a little boring and lifeless around here.
    I don't really feel I need to post anymore about this issue because Ralph has already given the ultimatum.

Philosophy ... an elaborate method used to hide from the truth.

Universal concepts. Transitory, the product of human thought. In no way universal.

Freedom. Meaningless to that which cannot be chained.

S uP horsey

Speaking only for myself, my opinion is exactly opposite. The lack of moderation in the political discussions in the lounge, which resulted in one or two persons constantly verbally abusing those with whom they disagreed, is one of the primary reasons I began limiting my discussions on the LF forum.

For what it is worth, I have always felt that the moderation on APUG was much better than that on the LF forum. From that perspective, I applaud the more pro-active position taken recently by the LF moderators.

Sandy King

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Speaking for myself, this forum has lost most of the attraction it once had with killing The Lounge and the palpable slide toward apug-like rigidity. I will therefore limit my participation to reading only and occasional checking the For Sale section, at least for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    Speaking only for myself, my opinion is exactly opposite. The lack of moderation in the political discussions in the lounge, which resulted in one or two persons constantly verbally abusing those with whom they disagreed, is one of the primary reasons I began limiting my discussions on the LF forum.

For what it is worth, I have always felt that the moderation on APUG was much better than that on the LF forum. From that perspective, I applaud the more pro-active position taken recently by the LF moderators.

Sandy King
    Hey Sandy,

I agree with you about the need for judicious moderation.

But what I am talking about is blanket prohibition of even mentioning certain topics. That's what makes apug rigid and so unappealing while the lack of it is what made this board so attractive to me until recently.

But be that as it may, the deus ex machina has decreed what is to be and there's no need to argue about it any more. This is just to clarify what I said so there's no misunderstanding.

Take care,

Marko

YAWN! [rub eyes] [blink]

Originally Posted by Deane Johnson View Post
    It seems to me that people who are here only for political discussion in the lounge probably shouldn't be here in the first place.

i agree with deane

are we still talking about this? MAN! get over it! it is a LF photography site! talk about LF photography already! i surely do not want to talk about Thai cooking here.....even in the lounge!

if certain folks can not get by without the lounge to have flame wars in, and they feel they must go.....all i have to say about that is:

ADIOS

now i am going back to the forum and talk/read about LF stuff!
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Quote Originally Posted by domenico Foschi View Post
    How can my thoughts about this matter have anything to do with my work?
    My work stands alone and it is born from the same set of ideals that have inspired me to write in this forum today.
    Yes, your work is nice. But that's before people get to know you. I know this shows the redneck in me, but I'll use a NASCAR analogy. If my favorite driver went over to Toyota, I'd dump his ass with a quickness. Or if he said some stuff I just really can't stand about politics or religion. Now when you make political views known, people can get very offended. Just like religion. People take that kind of stuff really seriously. Maybe, you think, "Oh, well, I can do without those people" but if you piss enough people off there goes your customer and/or fan base. Now am I saying that you have done this? No. I'm just clarifying his statement. (I'm not saying either way what I think about anyone personally because it's not worth arguing over.. And I'm sure they probably think the same about me.)

If everyone knew Ansel Adams or Ed Weston and thought they were complete pricks, do you think people would just sit there and buy their work for so much money? Doubtful.

I'm not trying to spin you up or piss you off. I'm just stating my opinion and not my opinion of you - just the situation.

But Ansel and Edward were hardly perfect or always nice. Their families sacrificed a lot so that they could realize their artistic goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    But Ansel and Edward were hardly perfect or always nice. Their families sacrificed a lot so that they could realize their artistic goals.
    I'm sure that's very true, but they didn't go really go public their political or religious views... Especially in an internet world where anyone can search your name and see what you think. Art and opinions of art is one thing, but when you throw in something as volatile as politics and religion that changes everything for a lot of people. Especially in such a heated election/political time.

Hard to be an asshole when you've been dead for 50 years...?

But it sounds like you're really telling Domenico just to shut up and look pretty.