Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crown Graphic Field

Crown Graphic Field

I have been using my toyo 4x5 view but I want a field 4x5. Have been looking into Crown Graphics since they seem well built and pretty universal if I would need to get parts. Is there a specific crown that I should be looking at? Like most of us, I want the best I can get for the $ but since I will be looking on ebay, which crown graphic is the best out of the lines?

santo

Re: Crown Graphic Field

This is a top rangefinder model.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Graflex-Crown-Gr...d=p3286.c0.m14

Note that the rangefinder extends all the way accross the top of the camera. This is going to be the newest model. Older models have a small view finder on the top and the range finder on the side. Some of the top range finder models have had the batteries go bad in them and that usually takes out the range finder mirrors, so to that extent the older side mounted range finder might be better. The newer cameras have interchangeable cams so you can use different lenses with the range finder but normally you would only use the normal lens with a given camera.

If you look a the back of the camera you will see two silver bars above and below the ground glass about half way accross. These identify the camera as having a grafloc back or "international back". That means that modern roll film backs etc will fit it .

DO NOT BUY A CAMERA THAT DOES NOT HAVE A GRAFLOC BACK.

One of the biggest problems that is found with old crowns is that people try to close the camera with the rails not all the way back. This breaks the rail tracks in the camera body. It doesn't distroy the camera but won't allow you to put very short lenses on the back tracks.

I could type for the next hour. However, this is probably enough to tell you that if you don't fully know what your are doing, you might be better off to avoid Ebay. I suggest you call Midwest photo and buy a camera from them.

Neal

OK, I bought a 4x5 Crown Graphic camera with a roll film back. It has a 135/ f4.5 Optar lens that looks pretty clean. Shutter works. I'll have to take it in for a time check and cleaning. I'm going to take the side range finder off since I don't use it. I paid over $150 and another 25 for the roll back.
    I think I'll try it once or twice then maybe sell it and try to get that baby graphic camera. Did I do good or should I have waited for that baby Graphic?

Robert, you didn't do badly.

Why, if you're going to sell the camera, do you plan to remove the RF? All that will do is reduce demand for it when you try to sell it. Seems shortsighted to me.

And why do you want a 2x3 Graphic instead of a 4x5? I know why I shoot 2x3 instead of 4x5; film's less expensive, the cameras are smaller and lighter, and I don't print very large.

Thanks for the info Neal. I have been tracking a few through ebay but my wife has been hovering around me flies on crap. I think she knows what I'm doing. I'll keep looking since I know I want the rangefinder and I want one in decent shape.

santo

Personally I'd prefer a model with the Kalart rangefinder on the side. It can be adjusted to different focal lengths without finding a proper cam. A graflok back is a must. A working wire hoop action finder is a must. One that already has bed scales for a second lens (usually a 90mm Angulon) is a plus. I wouldn't strip the camera since there are better and lighter real "field cameras" and I have found the Crown very useful handheld where the rangefinder comes in handy.

I have a number of larger and fancier view cameras but I find myself using the Crown more and more. I replaced the press 135mm lens with a multicoated plasmat and this is a very useful combination of old and new. The Crown is a well made piece of equipment built for a pro. I used to have a Speed, and there is nothing wrong with them, but they are a bit thicker and heavier and I never used the rear curtain.

The Top Rangefinder is definitely the best choice, however each lens takes its own cam to couple with the rangefinder, and getting them is a problem, so it may not be such an advantage as on would think.
    I have cameras with both the 135mm Graflex Raptar and Schneider Xenar -- both are optically equal, and there is no reason to choose between then. OTOH, you may pay $50 more for the Xenar since it comes in a Copal shutter which is probably better.
    It's a wonderful camera!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

Those rangefinders are usually old and unreliable. Linhof makes a modern rangefinder camera as does Wista. There is also the Razzle and other weirdo hybrids based on the Polaroid rangefinder.

OK, I should know this question since I have been shooting for over 15 years now and I think I have an idea what it is and how it works but...What is a rangefinder and what does it do for the 4x5?

santo

Quote Originally Posted by Toyon View Post
    Those rangefinders are usually old and unreliable. Linhof makes a modern rangefinder camera as does Wista. There is also the Razzle and other weirdo hybrids based on the Polaroid rangefinder.
    I disagree. My top RF Speed and Crown have both been 100% reliable, only requiring a CLA after 50+ years of use.
    My Technika IV, on the other hand, has required 2 new bellows (=$650), and a major CLA, plus repair of the hinge mount on the front bed (which holds the strut), which I understand is a common piece to break on the IV.
    In practice, I find that I use my Crown at least 10 times as much as the Technika.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)