Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sheet Film and Airports

Exclamation Sheet Film and Airports

How do you guys deal with boxes of sheet-film and airport security? I'm used to having rolls hand inspected, are they going to want to OPEN my boxes of film??

If you guys haven't gathered so far from my recent posts, I'm heading on my first lg format trip. Excited, but needing info.

Re: Sheet Film and Airports

Don't let the film go in check luggage unless you want it fried. I usally let it go through x-ray and haven't had any problems. On my last trip I sent it ahead via FedEx and USPS parcel post return trip. Shipping it takes the worry out of the equation.

Just waiting to be developed..

In the US they are more likely to hand inspect film if you ask. I always do.
    They will wipe the outside of every box multiple times. Almost every TSA agent has been very friendly and easy to deal with. THe few problems i have had i just asked for a supervisor.
    I always get to the airport with lots of time to spare. I pick the line with the fewest people and have everything ready to go before i get to the X ray machine.

My clients who regularly travel with 10+ boxes of 50 sheets of 4x5 and 200-400 lbs of equipment call ahead for special treatment. It might cost you a bit but they say its worth it.
    -Ian Mazursky
    www.ianmazursky.com Travel, Landscape, Portraits and my 12x20 diary
    PrePress Express

Also see the thread titled "Travelling with Sheets vs ReadyLoads/Quickloads" from one year ago.

Quote Originally Posted by shapirophoto View Post
    How do you guys deal with boxes of sheet-film and airport security? I'm used to having rolls hand inspected, are they going to want to OPEN my boxes of film??

If you guys haven't gathered so far from my recent posts, I'm heading on my first lg format trip. Excited, but needing info.
    In my experience sheet film and TSA are a bad mix. The TSA people know nothing about sheet film and don't have the time or inclination for education when they are working.

Ship the film outside the TSA system -- use a shipper you can trust such as FedEx, UPS, or someone else, and ship the film to a friend where you are going, to your hotel, to a friendly destination gallery, even a local store for your shippper (both FedEx and UPS will let you ship to a store at your destination and hold for pickup).

I'm just sayin' that if you keep your film out of TSA's hands then TSA can't ruin your film.

Bruce Watson

What/where do you "call ahead" for special treatment?

And what makes you think any independent shipper doesn't x-ray their packages with as much juice as checked baggage? The "Do Not X-Ray" warning you wrote on the package? lol... Nowhere in the customer agreements does it say that they won't or that they have to tell you.

Request a hand inspection of film, do not load it in film containers, keep it in the box and take a changing bag. Be very polite TSA does have to comply with your request. Make it as easy as possible for TSA. If at all possible buy film at your location and load on site. You can also ship exposed film and via Fed Ex and request no X Ray.
    Wally Brooks

Everything is Analog!
    Any Fool Can Shoot Digital!
    Any Coward can shoot a zoom! Use primes and get closer.

My practice has been to hand carry the film and let it go through the carry-on x-ray. I've been unable to detect any evidence of fogging.

In general, my experience with TSA has been positive. And when I travel, I make sure that I am prepared with a changing bag for them to use if they insist on doing a hand inspection of my film. But I never ask for a hand inspection on the basis that asking for anything that is outside the norm is either going to draw unnecessary (and unwanted) attention to myself or set the stage for someone to do something incredibly stupid out of sheer ignorance.

Mark

I have never had an issue inside the US with TSA doing hand inspections of film which is in unopened boxes.

I put the film boxes in a ziplock bag that I can easily remove - TSA wipes it down and checks it in their nitrate sniffer machine and the additional delay is minimal.

Overseas is another issue.....

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    ...what makes you think any independent shipper doesn't x-ray their packages with as much juice as checked baggage? The "Do Not X-Ray" warning you wrote on the package? lol... Nowhere in the customer agreements does it say that they won't or that they have to tell you.
    Experience Frank, and common sense. Nearly every sheet of film sold anywhere in the world is shipped by common carrier, the vast majority by air freight. None of it gets ruined by x-rays. If it did, you'd see hundred of threads started about that very topic right here on this website.

I buy all my film from Badger Graphic Supplies, they ship it with companies they trust, and it always arrives undamaged. I use those same shippers and never have any trouble. And you might plaster a box with "Do Not X-Ray" labels but I sure as hell don't! LOL, you crack me up!

Bruce Watson