Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selecting photographs for an exhibition...how?

Selecting photographs for an exhibition...how?

This is completely new territory for me. I have an opportunity to submit three of my photographs for an exhibition and I am almost seriously considering it (I have a difficult time being serious! )

My trouble is, which three? Should they be consistent in theme, such as three aerials OR three architecture OR three landscape OR three nocturnals OR three rust junk-heaps OR should they be my three personal favorites? OR my three technically best shots? OR my three best quality prints?

Fortunately I am in the process of making three prints for a print exchange so I've been going through a lot of negatives looking for "good ones" but it is taking me awhile to achieve what I'm looking for in the final print (these are 8x10 contacts, which is also what I'll likely be submitting for the exhibition. How I miss slow slow azo!)

A little guidence would be mightily appreciated!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Selecting photographs for an exhibition...how?

If it is not clear to you what your best work is, I would suggest getting some one to help you select them whose taste you respect.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Maybe the curator would be the best person to ask, but in general, given the small number, I think having images from a single theme would make a stronger impression. Technical excellence being a given, I'd give preference to artistic vision.

Three is tough, fifty is much easier. I agree with Kirk on seeking help from someone whose taste you respect (most often my wife) and also QT's idea of a theme. Of course a particular way of seeing can be a theme in itself and not necessarily limit you to subject matter. It is also important to consider whether your work will be isolated, or if it will be interspersed with work by other photographers. In any event, have fun and it is good to hear that you will be exhibiting your work!

Hmmm...I'd probably select three images with different subject matter to show a broader range. Since you're only showing three, I'd rather represent best I can what I'm about, and not one aspect.
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Quote Originally Posted by matthew blais View Post
    Hmmm...I'd probably select three images with different subject matter to show a broader range. Since you're only showing three, I'd rather represent best I can what I'm about, and not one aspect.
    i am with matt here. unless you know your stuff will be together or if you know that they want a theme i would say show your best stuff.....you only get 3.

$.02

eddie
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

I would select your best work with the guidance of a trusted friend whose opinion you value. I am not sure subject theme should be on the top of your list, but if it is something that drives your work then by all means include it when making your selections.

Choosing three prints seems difficult, but really three prints is the perfect number; an opener, climax, and a closer.
    Will Wilson
    www.willwilson.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    This is completely new territory for me. I have an opportunity to submit three of my photographs for an exhibition and I am almost seriously considering it (I have a difficult time being serious! )

My trouble is, which three? Should they be consistent in theme, such as three aerials OR three architecture OR three landscape OR three nocturnals OR three rust junk-heaps OR should they be my three personal favorites? OR my three technically best shots? OR my three best quality prints?
    First you have to answer this question: what do you want to accomplish? Are you trying to gain visibility? Are you trying to sell prints? Are you trying to establish a name as an artist (and no, that's not the same thing as trying to gain visibility)? What, exactly, do you want?

You can't solve a problem if you can't define it. Once you decide what you want to accomplish, picking three images to show will be a lot easier.

Bruce Watson

The problem I find with one selecting his own best work , may not be the best for someone else's eyes, and I believe one need's outside help in make-ing sure to put one's best foot forward :
    Lauren MacIntosh

Whats in back of you is the past and whats in front of you is the future now in the middle you have choices to make for yourself:

Quote Originally Posted by seawolf66 View Post
    The problem I find with one selecting his own best work , may not be the best for someone else's eyes, and I believe one need's outside help in make-ing sure to put one's best foot forward :
    Good point, which relates to the question posed by Bruce; "what do you wish to accomplish". If sales were the goal (which has never been my reason for exhibiting) then the selection would not necessarily be what I consider my best work. It has been a mystery to me why certain prints sell; prints that I do not consider my best.