Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Selecting photographs for an exhibition...how?

Re: Selecting photographs for an exhibition...how?

Thank you everyone for your responses! I'll put together a portfolio of my more promising prints and solicit suggestions from some local photographers whose opinions mean a lot to me.

My purpose for exhibiting really is simply to share my photos. I figure that if I enjoy looking at them others might enjoy looking at them too.

Hey, it looks like I just wrote my first "artist's statement!"
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

> My purpose for exhibiting really is simply to share my photos. I figure that if I enjoy looking at them others might enjoy looking at them too.

Then show the ones you like best.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Thank you everyone for your responses! I'll put together a portfolio of my more promising prints and solicit suggestions from some local photographers whose opinions mean a lot to me.

My purpose for exhibiting really is simply to share my photos. I figure that if I enjoy looking at them others might enjoy looking at them too.

Hey, it looks like I just wrote my first "artist's statement!"
    John, for sure, you are surrounded by some very talented local photographers.

What better purpose than to share the photos that give you enjoyment? I hope that you are busy in semi-darkness, placing your negatives in contact with paper. I have been waiting a very long time to hear of a Kasaian exhibition!

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Merg Ross View Post
    I have been waiting a very long time to hear of a Kasaian exhibition!

me too!

good luck john!

john

Dave Karp

Congrats John.

I would show photos made with the pinhole Turkey. ;-) (I think of you every Thanksgiving.)

Seriously, unless I heard differently from the curator, or unless the show has a theme related to subject matter, since there are multiple photographers involved, I think I would pick my three favorite photos and show them. By favorite, I don't mean it was a great day, lots of fun, and the photo brings back memories, I mean the three you think are the ones you want to share with the world based on their stand alone qualities as photographs.

Thank you for your kind comments guys!

Merg,
    I have to admit that your confidence in me has motivated me to attempt something like this.

john,
    Hey thanks! The prints will be 100% Ansco-130 thanks to you!

David,
    Nothing good ever came out of that turkey! You are right though, I'll have to forget the story behind the photographs (and believe me, each one has a story) and consider their stand alone qualities. That will be difficult, but maybe that is where having someone else's opinons to go by will be a good thing.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Dear John,

I would present images that you can passionately speak with when asked a simple question from a patron...

I say that because my gallery experience indicates the artistic public can be very interested in your experience behind the image, without adding too much drama. The patrons that usually purchase an image, sometimes require your character to shine through, beside a quality image.

jim k

Quote Originally Posted by jim kitchen View Post
    Dear John,

I would present images that you can passionately speak with when asked a simple question from a patron...

I say that because my gallery experience indicates the artistic public can be very interested in your experience behind the image, without adding too much drama. The patrons that usually purchase an image, sometimes require your character to shine through, beside a quality image.

jim k
    Good point jim k! Each photo has a story I can relate, but I don't think that I'd want the story to be the deciding element on choosing which photographs to submit. Of course if the people at the exhibition insist, I can always fall back on the frozen turkey pinhole camera story---no photographs but a great story!

Choose your favorites and people won't buy them although your artist friends will love them,but since they are artists they have no money, so.....
    Choose the ones you cannot stand and people will love them and you'll break the bank.

Regarding the choice, John, is there a theme? Do you have an idea of what the other photographers will bring? Do you know them?

I had some work in as show just past sunday and I was the only photographer not displaying landscapes, and most of them were in color, not a good thing.

Don't think too much, let it rise to the surface.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post

See? Makes it easier to choose doesn't it? And this is a good method, you pick a larger portfolio and get others to narrow down the field. Wish I could see it, but alas, you guys in CA have all the fun.

Bruce Watson