Thread: A Walk Through the Range of Light

A Walk Through the Range of Light

If in Los Angeles, please come by and see the debut show, "A Walk through the Range of Light", at Coldsprings Fine Art (215 W. 3rd Street (Douglas Building), 3rd & Spring, Gallery Row, Downtown Los Angeles), through November 22. The show is 55 silver prints from 6"X10" to 30"X40", large and medium format, classical landscape photography of California's Sierra Nevada.

The show may be previewed at:
    http://www.rangeoflightphotography.c...ovieLarge.html

Re: A Walk Through the Range of Light

The slidxe show is still loading but I am looking forward to go see it.
    I will be in town for the Louise Bourgeois at MOCA, and I will hop at the gallery.
    Congratulations, the work looks strong.

Drew Wiley

Great to see some backcountry on your site. The Ritter Range and Minarets are a view
    I grew up with, and still see across my pasture from the west. In your picture of Granite Park you can note a steep little snow couloir going to a U-shaped pass. That's where I first taught my nephew to use an ice axe. I was hacking out steps with an
    85 lb pack on my back, with a Sinar inside, headed toward Seven Gables basin. My
    nephew soon became a world-class ice climber and did the last major unclimbed wall
    in Patagonia and the most difficult route on Mt Asgaard on Baffin Island, among many
    other things. He turned out to be a terrible photographer, though!

Richard M. Coda

Looks like a beautiful show. I will actually be in LA this week and hope to have time to stop in.

Rich
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

Quote Originally Posted by domenico Foschi View Post
    The slidxe show is still loading but I am looking forward to go see it.
    I will be in town for the Louise Bourgeois at MOCA, and I will hop at the gallery.
    Congratulations, the work looks strong.
    For quicker loading video choose a smaller version of the movie (320X240dpi or 240X180dpi) on the Exhibits Page (e.g., http://www.rangeoflightphotography.c...vieMedium.html)

or slightly different YouTube version (Watch in high quality):
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGqubLBOcL4

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Great to see some backcountry on your site. The Ritter Range and Minarets are a view
    I grew up with, and still see across my pasture from the west. In your picture of Granite Park you can note a steep little snow couloir going to a U-shaped pass. That's where I first taught my nephew to use an ice axe. I was hacking out steps with an
    85 lb pack on my back, with a Sinar inside, headed toward Seven Gables basin. My
    nephew soon became a world-class ice climber and did the last major unclimbed wall
    in Patagonia and the most difficult route on Mt Asgaard on Baffin Island, among many
    other things. He turned out to be a terrible photographer, though!
    Drew,

How wonderful to have such a view from across the Valley from the coast (SF?). The U-shaped couloir clearly visible in "Granite Park" is indeed (as I'm sure you know) a well known knapsacker route allowing direct access to upper Bear Lakes Basin from upper Pine Creek. At the time the photograph was taken I worked my way from the north over the somewhat useless Lake Italy Pass towards Seven Gables, but descended it six days later on my return.

Drew Wiley

My view is from my mtn property at the edge of the San Joaquin Canyon. Have to
    walk about 1/2mi up the road to actually see Mt Ritter, because another peak blocks
    the view directly. Plan to go up there this weekend to clean the roof and maybe use
    the 8x10 a little. Hope you can exhibit in northern Cal sometime. Don't get to the south
    part of the state very often anymore. Last time I was in Granite Park, went over the
    U-notch morning of 2nd day, then up Seven Gables glacier the second day (a class 3
    pass involving a bergshrund and a bit of hauling the pack with ropes - sadly mostly
    gone now due to global warming), into Merriam Basin, then back over Pine Creek Pass
    the following day in a snowstorm. My nephew called it a "death march". Wish I still had
    that kind of energy. On my own site there's a b&w shot of Seven Gables (#35) which
    I took on that trip. Once met a fellow at Lake Italy who took a mule over Italy Pass
    and declared himself insane for doing so. The largest quaking aspens in the world perhaps are lower down Bear Creek; I've measured them up to 37 inches diameter. I apologize for not being able to get to your show, but maybe sometime I can make up for it.