Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Digital Pics Sought (Personally Credit Only)

Post Digital Pics Sought (Personally Credit Only)

Hey All,

My brother-in-law works for Lenovo on the corporate marketing side. He's got some fancy monitors he wants to show off that display at 1900 x 1200 during a conference in Orlando (Educause, October 28-31, 2008). He has no good images for it though.

My photography doesn't really work so well because I mostly do B&W and alt processes. Bit of a bummer on that display. I gave him a couple scans from prints, but they've got the typical low-quality-scanner "artifacts" on them.

If you're interested in having your work shown at a conference and you do color work and have some images in digital format and you don't mind loaning them for free, let me know. Please include your name in a copyright label in a corner. If you provide your contact info he will hand it out if someone asks about it.

Best way of submitting an image is either to email me an attachment (see contact info when you click "alec4444" or email me a link to the files with your permission. He specifically needs something that will work for the whole screen, so 1900 x 1200 is preferred.

If you don't want to do this because it doesn't pay money, and you think it should, and you wouldn't do it in a million years, and you think that people who might even consider this are crazy, and are killing the art market, and may even be contributing to global warming and world starvation...

That's ok. Just don't send me any images.

Cheers!
    --A

Re: Digital Pics Sought (Personally Credit Only)

Sent a private message. I have an image for you.

Do a search on flickr for images licensed under Creative Commons that allow commercial use. (click on "advanced search" and use the option buttons.)

Agree with Van Camper. alec444 has never responded to me. Now, he is out of luck.

3d Visual Effects artist

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Carstensen View Post
    alec444 has never responded to me. Now, he is out of luck.
    it's only been one day since he made the post
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Hey Charles my apologies, I thought I had sent you both a PM and an email.

Rob, appreciate the tip. I'll look into that.

Van Camper, please see paragraph 5 of the original post.

Thanks to those who submitted images; it's very much appreciated!

Cheers!
    --A

Back in the day when I could make an actual living as a photographer ;-p I sold rights to Sharp for just such a use for $500 per image (for specific and limited usage).

Lads, I understand. But to be clear:

My brother-in-law (Andrew) asked me for some photos. I ran some stuff through my scanner, and it kind of sucked. I sent him what I had, and said (unsolicited), "Hey, let me ask some of my buddies on the LF forum".

I've been here for a while, so posters know me pretty well by now, and I've met quite a few in person. I dunno what Andrew's budget is like, what the display will be like, etc. I'm just trying to help a family member and thought I'd ask people here for help. No more than that. I suppose I could go from person to person and ask, but I thought it would be better just to post a message here, so that nobody would feel pressured or obligated or anything. And hey, if I got nuthin, he can run my crappy scans though and point out the great detail in his monitors....."Hey, look at all the artifacts left by Alec's cheap crappy scanner!!"

--A

PS: My scans here if you want to have a look...

It's understandable. You did mention "brother-in-law" up front! lol

Alec,
    You deserve the benefit of the doubt regarding your intentions, and your brother-in-law is probably just ignorant of the consequences of doing things like this. I doubt Lenovo sold anything to the professional photographers who frequent this forum today (or next year if they have any memory left). The ill will generated by a seemingly innocent request for free content is real, in spite of good intentions all around.

It's a bad idea because it degrades the market and expectations for professional photography. Of course this is a small incident, but multiply that by the millions of other requests for free content and the royalty- or near royalty-free stock photo industry, and you'll see that while professional photographers don't have much they can do about it (real world capitalism at work....) it still is quite a sore point.

At least you weren't as mercenary as some... If you were more cutthroat about it, you would have run a contest and charged a $20 entry fee for the privilege of giving your work to Levovo. It could have been a new profit center in these trying times.