Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you collect?

Do you collect?

Photographs, that is, not equipment. If so, whom do you have in your collection, and where do you usually buy photos? Just curious, as I'm starting to sell my own work and am also interested in starting a collection of other people's stuff.

GB

multiplex

Re: Do you collect?

hi gb

i collect photographs ..
    mostly portraits i find in second hand shops.
    i have a few photo albums i also bought, and they were "pre-filled" with vacation photos ---
    turn of the century ( last ) tourist photographs and post cards of exotic places (ancient world ).
    i also have a ton of 1920s formal portraits that were given to me ...

I do collect and I have bought from photographers, from art galleries, from ebay, from Photo Organizations and from magazines. Buying others' work is far easier than selling one's work, btw. Good luck in your endeavour.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
    Buying others' work is far easier than selling one's work, btw.
    I'll second that! It's much more pleasant being on the buying side of the gallery experience than being on the selling side.

Bruce Watson

I don't have the funds to collect the photographs of the people who's work I admire, they just cost too much. I do collect prints from print exchanges, or did when I had the time to participate, and I collect the (very) occasional print from people at art shows, but other than that, no. If I did buy the prints of others I'd likely display them in my library (a spare bedroom lined with bookshelves) or on the walls with the other types of art that I have purchased over the years. Sadly, as much as I like photography, I tend to buy paintings and (etching) prints mostly, when I find something moving, because I can afford them...

So far, I've got 1 x Ray Bidegain, 1 x Christopher Burkett, 1 x Alan Ross, and 3 x John Wimberley.

Do Ansel Adams Limited Editions count?

Can't afford Mann, Avedon< Mapplethorpe, Leonard or Annie prints, but occasionally scrape up enough dough for the occasional coffee table book. Most recent was Herman Leonard's.

I have Autochromes and Dags and a few other old things. You can get nice things for little money. I have a Dag portrait that I think is one of the nicest portraits that I've ever seen and I think I paid $35 for it.

Cheers all.

The Rookie

I've got a theme for a wall in my office: Musicians I've seen play. I'm a music fanatic and I love to go to any concert that I can. Not all musicians have 8x10's available though. I'm still trying to find a good shot of Trans Siberian Orchestra. Photographing a concert is a difficult thing. It's dark, things are moving quickly and there are always light sources pointing directly at any vantage point you can find. Good quality concert photos are hard to find. I doubt there are many LF shots out there.
    Yeah. I'm familiar with Photoshop. It's the place I buy my film.

3d Visual Effects artist

Just my own photos :-) I do have some photos from a few photographers that I'm friends with, but for the most part I just have my own.
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com