Nicely done.

Re: Post Yer Still Lifes take 2

Quote Originally Posted by katie cooke View Post
    4x5" clear glass ambrotype.
    Agreed, nicely done.
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Velvia dreams of an endless childhood in my mom's kitchen. Everything except for the bread board, which I made especially for this set, and, of course, the bread and the rose, is from a time long past. 4x5 Velvia 50.

Setup, just for kicks: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3590/...f52cac1d_o.jpg

Matt, I love that image, it brings a lot of memories for me too although I have never seen these particular items.

The only thing is, I find the right-to-left direction of main light in this case a bit unnatural - I think I'd prefer the mirror-image composition and lighting, if you don't mind me saying.

Marko

Quote Originally Posted by aphexafx View Post
    Velvia dreams of an endless childhood in my mom's kitchen. Everything except for the bread board, which I made especially for this set, and, of course, the bread and the rose, is from a time long past. 4x5 Velvia 50.
    Matt,

Great concept and image. I think the lighting is a little too directional and it may need to come out front a little. The loss of detail in the lower part of the pitcher and especially the salt & pepper shakers against the black background is bothersome. The only compositional thing that bothers me is the cork of the bottle ending right on the edge of the plate. Raising the plate if possible a bit might help, and it would let the leaf gently dip into the shape of the plate as well.

Overal, I love it.

Jim
    Jim Cole
    Flagstaff, AZ

Downstairs

Quote Originally Posted by aphexafx View Post
    Matt,
    I love that. Nice light. clean as a whistle but tidy tidy. You've got super surface depth in the bread, so you might give the breadboard a twist and get some perspective depth as well. The flat black background is quite claustrophobic - something should be happening over there on the left.
    It's not good practice to fill from the opposite side - it contradicts the key-light. Better to it from above and behind the camera with a large soft (cold) reflector to simulate the ambient light.
    Stay away from cut-glass and anything else with excessive manufacture. It's your picture, not the glass-cutter's. Bash the board about a bit and rub flour into the cracks.
    Marco suggests that light should come from the left. Check that with someone from Oz; it might be a northern hemisphere prejudice like clockwise vortices in the w.c.
    This thread is becoming Photoholics Anonymous so feel free to kick my latest offering around too. It's not LF because I can't get heavy mid-tone contrast to work for me on tmax/hc110 8x10. So it's here:
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
    Christopher Broadbent

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Broadbent View Post
    Marco suggests that light should come from the left. Check that with someone from Oz; it might be a northern hemisphere prejudice like clockwise vortices in the w.c.
    Now that I think about it, it might be more of a Greco-Roman heritage prejudice, where we're accustomed to writing from left to right and consequently prefer our light sources to be on the left too.

Great tries in this thread !!!
    A real boost for creative imaging...
    Some blossom to share
    4x5
    scan neg

Agreed, love the composition and the lightings superb...and I'm not the flowery type.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Cole View Post
    Chris,

Very nicely done. Beautiful composition and lighting. I think I may have to try some flowers.

Jim

My first photo posted here. If you are on APUG, you might have seen it there too.
    I recently aquired an 8x10 Korona, circa 1928-30. I wanted the larger negatives for alt printing. I've been making digital negs from smaller ones, but I wanted to leave the computer out of the equation.
    This is my first completed print from the Korona. It is one layer of gum (lamp black), hand coloured with pastels. I'm happy with this as a first effort and eager to try more.