Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Large Format gathering Oct. 23-27th

Re: Large Format gathering Oct. 23-27th

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mutmansky View Post
    Bob, what's with the vitriol? What do you gain from a post like that?
    Doesn't sound vitriolic - just direct.

C

I stand by my statement, Bob. You could have expressed your feeling more diplomatically and without the edge that is clearly present. Considering that the event is timed with a specific fundraising event, I really don't see how your comment is a meaningful contribution.

If I were spending $40,000 on a booth, the last thing I would be worried about is a few people getting together in CT to talk about photography. And if I were, I certainly would be careful to not alienate any of them with my comments.

Please lighten up and be more personable, you only hurt yourself otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mutmansky View Post
    I stand by my statement, Bob. You could have expressed your feeling more diplomatically and without the edge that is clearly present. Considering that the event is timed with a specific fundraising event, I really don't see how your comment is a meaningful contribution.

If I were spending $40,000 on a booth, the last thing I would be worried about is a few people getting together in CT to talk about photography. And if I were, I certainly would be careful to not alienate any of them with my comments.

Please lighten up and be more personable, you only hurt yourself otherwise.
    Sorry Mike, I don't feel I was too blunt. I asked a question. Perhaps you were reading too much into the question. But then I asked a similar question when some members put together a shoot in June that also conflicted with a large format show. Considering how few shows are venues to show large format equipment if these types of conflicts keep occurring there could be no venues to exhibit new products in niche markets.

Gotta agree with Michael. If Steve has put in the time and effort to organize this event, then one assumes he has considered conflicts that might matter to him. In this case, it appears that presentations on photographic art and methods trump a content-free hawking of professional photographic gear. It is, oddly enough, a free country.

I doubt that Bob means to be malicious, but he certainly doesn't do HP Marketing any favors with his messages. His post has the swaggering sound of a deep-pocketed vendor yelling at a group of hobbyists for inconveniencing his commercial opportunity.

-Mick

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    And the explanation that it is tied into another event does help to explain some of it.
    Some of it?? Not ALL of it?? I'm with Mike and Mick on this. If I could get to the east coast that weekend, I'd choose the casual gathering/FUNDRAISER over a commercial leg-humping event in a heartbeat.
    Kerik Kouklis
    www.kerik.com
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion

Well, it looks to me like we should be happy that there is SO much going on that weekend. I am aware of 4 different gatherings, with the one mentioned in NYC. One in Canada, one in NYC, Steve's in NE and a modest group plans to get together in Texas the same weekend. From where I sit that is only good..still think there are plenty of LF photographers to go around and not all can make it to a big event - but it is sure nice to have alternative events to enjoy and share.
    Mike Castles
    My Web Site
    Rambles

Easy does it everyone - tone and intent are dangerous to infer from emails and forum posts. So Bob, (whom I don't' know, so I won't make a judgement) I give you the benefit of the doubt. As one of the sponsors of this event, I urge all to refer back to the original post and the reason for it. As I stated earlier, Middlesex Hospital dictates the timing of this fundraiser. Both Steve and I have had very close experiences with cancer in our immediate families, so this cause is near and dear to us. For those of you who would like to know more about the fundraiser here's a link:
    http://www.middlesexhospital.org/go/...005CFFEFAA9D3B
    Tim

Actually, the first Cancer Benefit last year was a week later, the first week of Nov. Middlesex Hospital was so impressed with the way things went last year they immediately encouraged NELFPC to do it again in 2008. With the Presidential Election this year the hospital moved the event one week earlier and so the stars are aligned.

BTW Bob, would you have attended any of the activities going on in central Connecticut?

Cheers

Real photographs are born wet !

www.PowerOfProcessTips.com

Last night we had the opening of the Dylan Ellis Gallery, just around the corner there was a photographic lecture by Cyla Von Tideman and as well a fundraiser by 23 local professional photographers in the Distillery District.

Talk about picking a bad night, but, we had over 4 hundred attendees to see Cornish's work, Ms Tideman packed her venue and the pros made lots of cash for a good benifit.
    Granted we are a fairly large market, but well organized and interesting events will always draw .
    It is impossible to pick evenings, weekends for such events that do not conflict and the best you can hope for is to market it well, give tons of notice and put on a first class show .

I hope you do well Steve with your event. Tell Monty I have a few choice words for him, I am sure he will understand and I look forward to seeing him up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sherman View Post
    Actually, the first Cancer Benefit last year was a week later, the first week of Nov. Middlesex Hospital was so impressed with the way things went last year they immediately encouraged NELFPC to do it again in 2008. With the Presidential Election this year the hospital moved the event one week earlier and so the stars are aligned.

BTW Bob, would you have attended any of the activities going on in central Connecticut?

Cheers
    I don't know as we never got an invitation to it. Normally either we or one of our reps would go if we have enough advanced warning and it doesn't conflict with something already scheduled. In this case we would not have been able as it does conflict, one of our reps in that area will be at the NY show and the other one will miss all shows due to a family health problem.