Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Running out of money?

Re: Running out of money?

My belt has tightened...but that's what happens when you add a few pounds. I think having three 11 year old boys has affected my budget more than the present national/world economic situation.

I would like to move up in format, but I think I'll stay with 8x10 unless a 7x17 falls from the sky.

Vaughn

I think my photography kit is finally put together and the film freezer is packed. I expect to purchase a bunch of Lodima when it is finally available in 8x20, but other than that I expect to be spending my photo $$ on gas, lodging and meals while out on extended photography trips. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Vick Ko View Post
    Hmmm.

I'm thinking of selling / swapping some stuff, to try other stuff.

But not happy that things don't appear to be selling, and prices on stuff I want isn't falling.

...Vick
    Isn't it strange how that works - prices are falling on everything except the things you want to buy. It's kind of a corollary to my personal rule for the stock market - buy high and sell low.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

neophyte

Well for us non-resident aliens (customs at LAX used to be sooooo friendly, now its just hostile) the problem is also exchange rates. The Aussie $ was very encouraging to my GAS 4 months ago at nearly par with the US, but in the last month the arse dropped out of it and Im down to 65c so eaverything just got about 40% more expensive.
    Still, as said above, a habit requires feeding...........

Run out of money? Not so sure about that. I thought I was going to be able to retire and live fairly comfortably; nice idea, in more doubt than it was six months ago, and if the worst arrives I don't have the time to recover. But for the moment cash isn't a problem; I have some work at SKGrimes and a shutter on Mrs. Miller's waiting list and don't worry about paying either bill.

Can't think of what to chase next? For sure. I don't need more gear for my 2x3 kit, except perhaps a couple of lenses that I can't possibly afford and don't really need anyway. Sweet grapes, y'understand, but still far beyond my reach.

Can't think of what to chase next? For sure. There are only two things to do in that direction. Move up in format, for minimal improvement in the results unless I can improve my technique considerably, and great increase in cost. Or supplement the 2x3 Graphics with a 2x3 monorail. I've been dithering about getting a 2x3 Galvin since 1986, so that need must not be too pressing. I mean, given what I try to do a monorail would be just another toy to carry around that wouldn't improve the results at all.

What I have to do is shoot more, not acquire more gear. Not acquiring more gear is helped materially by the fact that little tempting is turning up on eBay.

Cheers,

Dan

I turned my habit away from gear, back toward books. Because staring at, and handling, books won't get you into trouble. Leaving a book on a shelf won't cause someone to say "but you never use it"!

My only complaint is that I spent all my money on books today on a trip to London, and they were bloody heavy to carry on the tubes and trains home!

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    I turned my habit away from gear, back toward books. Because staring at, and handling, books won't get you into trouble. Leaving a book on a shelf won't cause someone to say "but you never use it"!

My only complaint is that I spent all my money on books today on a trip to London, and they were bloody heavy to carry on the tubes and trains home!
    And movers don't like books either....
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

I've finally beaten my GAS. I have more than I need with nine lenses, so now am spending exclusively on film. (More productive than spending on lenses!)

I just take a look around and anything I haven't used in six months goes up for sale. I've found hundreds of dollars worth of filters, lenscaps, and other "stuff" that just accumulates -- it all turns into gas, beer, and film money. The only old sentimental cameras I have are my Grandpa's SX70 and an Olympus XA that was my first new camera back in 1983 (cost$100 I think).

For the stuff I use -- the 8x10 and the digital -- I have spares and extras and everything I need to "cover my ass" so I don't go without, I just try to live within my means.

If I did get an extra plush job I would pop for a Leica and good scanner in a heartbeat though. Finally there are some sweet deals again!

At the moment only one thing in FS, which is a Yashica Mat 124G. Mostly because I just don't use it, since I am not a TLR guy.

I just put together and tested a 10" Bausch & Lomb Petzval type projection lens, and the image on the ground glass is crisp. Unfortunately it would work better on 8x10, and I only have 4x5, so I don't get that nice vignetting effect. So I will probably list that when I can figure out a price.

I also have one of the tiny projection Petzval type lenses made by Gundlach Manhattan for a Simplex motion picture projector. Jim Galli has sold a few of these, which just barely cover 4x5. Problem is that I like my HB&H Petzval type lens more, so this one sits on a shelf. Guess I should sell that too.

I would rather have things in the hands of those who use them, than have them collecting dust on a shelf. I don't need to sell them, though I suppose I might buy something else at whatever point I sell these things (and a bunch of other unused rangefinders).

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography