Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Art and Landscape Photography

Art and Landscape Photography

I came across this qoute in an article by Roger Kimball also who wrote The Rape of the Masters: How Political Corectness Sabotages Art:

"This much I think, is clear: Without an allegiance to beauty, art degenerates into a caracature of itself; it is beauty that animates the aesthetic experience, making it so seductive, but aesthetic experience itself degenerates into a kind of fetish or idol if it is held up as an end in itself, untested by the rest of life."

I am trying to understand how that fits in with my own attempts at landscape photography. It seems like it should but I cannot find the correct words to define how the landscape photograph does this.

Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Art and Landscape Photography

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I came across this qoute in an article by Roger Kimball also who wrote The Rape of the Masters: How Political Corectness Sabotages Art:

"This much I think, is clear: Without an allegiance to beauty, art degenerates into a caracature of itself; it is beauty that animates the aesthetic experience, making it so seductive, but aesthetic experience itself degenerates into a kind of fetish or idol if it is held up as an end in itself, untested by the rest of life."

I am trying to understand how that fits in with my own attempts at landscape photography. It seems like it should but I cannot find the correct words to define how the landscape photograph does this.

Any thoughts, suggestions or ideas?
    Without more context, it is hard to place what he is saying, and so, what he says risks acquiring the status of a truism; in turn, any comment thereon risks being equally vague. Is there a larger quote here, or a more specific reference to an artist or style?

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Yeah ... who knows what he meant by "beauty." In relation to art, it's been interpreted dozens of different ways between the ancient greeks and the postmoderns.

If you haven't read Robert Adams' "Beauty in Photography: Essays in Defense of Traditional Values," I strongly recommend it. It's about the power of landscape more than anything else.

3d Visual Effects artist

to me, landscape photos are just something pretty to look at I think he might be looking a little to deep!
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Why should I copy this owl, this sea urchin? Why should I try to imitate nature? I might just as well try to trace a perfect circle. (Pablo Picasso)

While some traditions of photography have placed an emphasis on the esthetics, more recent ones have displaced it in favor of ideas and engagement with the contemporary world. The writer seems to propose that both are necessary.

How does it relate to landscape ? If one thinks of it as "natural landscape", that area isn't considered anymore a fertile ground for expression of ideas and engagement with the contemporary world.

Quote Originally Posted by claudiocambon View Post
    Without more context, it is hard to place what he is saying, and so, what he says risks acquiring the status of a truism; in turn, any comment thereon risks being equally vague. Is there a larger quote here, or a more specific reference to an artist or style?
    The context I got was of Art elevated to a plateau where it becomes a positive element of life.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    Yeah ... who knows what he meant by "beauty." In relation to art, it's been interpreted dozens of different ways between the ancient greeks and the postmoderns.

If you haven't read Robert Adams' "Beauty in Photography: Essays in Defense of Traditional Values," I strongly recommend it. It's about the power of landscape more than anything else.
    Thanks Paul, I'll nab a copy and read it as soon as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Buck View Post
    to me, landscape photos are just something pretty to look at I think he might be looking a little to deep!
    Daniel, you've hit the nail on the head! I'm trying to figure out at what point does a landscape become more than a record and crosses over into "fine art" and what elements drive the seductive aesthetic? Does goosing a negative to put more of what the photographer "feels" in a print make it more fine art and less an accurate record? And which ultimately fills whatever need that needs to be fulfilled?

David Gainer

To me the author is saying that art relies on beauty, but beauty in a picture does not make it art. I understand him to mean that there must be a deeper composition that conveys a message to the viewer rather than just, "look at me, I'm pretty!"

I think "accurate records" can be art, but the where mere beauty becomes art is has a low objective threshold and then a highly subjective one.