Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Brilliant Ground Glass

Re: Brilliant Ground Glass

Quote Originally Posted by chris_4622 View Post
    Where can one get a small amount of aluminum oxide? I searched Mcmaster but the smallest quantity is 5lbs.
    Try a rock shop, they use it as a polish in rock tumblers, many companies carry a 1 pound package that sells for about $5.00

Dave Karp

Thanks gang.

I really appreciate the help and feedback. I think I will give Brilliant a try.

Bernal:

The fellow at the Brilliant Ground Glass store is Steve Hopf, and his e-mail address is hopfsteve@gmail.com

You can't ever get him by phone as he is located in a rural area that has only dial-up, so his phone is always busy . . he keeps the computer connected online and monitors it frequently throughout the day.

I, too, like several others on here have bought GG's from Steve and am quite happy with them.

EuGene

I got my grinding alum oxide here http://www.willbell.com/contact.htm believe it or not. About a year ago, and it was only a few dollars for about a pound. See if they still sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by EuGene Smith View Post
    Bernal:

The fellow at the Brilliant Ground Glass store is Steve Hopf, and his e-mail address is hopfsteve@gmail.com

You can't ever get him by phone as he is located in a rural area that has only dial-up, so his phone is always busy . . he keeps the computer connected online and monitors it frequently throughout the day.

I, too, like several others on here have bought GG's from Steve and am quite happy with them.

EuGene
    Thank you EuGene. I started communication with him yesterday by e-mail. I am in the process of placing an order.

bernal

Thought I'd resurrect this thread and add a comment.

I received a new 5x7 GG with grids and clipped corners from Steve the other day. The quality of the glass I received was as good as the Satin Snow I got from Dave just before he closed up shop, and THAT is saying a whole bunch. Dave put out a quality product. Too bad it wasn't unbreakable!

In any case, it's good to know that somebody else believes in high standards and good service. It's bright, the grids are perfectly applied and he even smooths and rounds the edges of the glass. First rate product and I got it four days after I sent him the order. Took me another day to unpack it, he had it so well packaged for shipment. But once I did, I was delighted.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

I ground a couple glasses for my 5x7 and will do one for my 8x10 soon. I just used 5 micron alox until the glass was completely evenly frosted. Then I wash everything (both the glass I'm grinding and the glass I'm grinding with) and switch to 3 micron alox. I go until the texture is evenly smoothed from what it looked like right after the 5 micron. The difference between the 5 micron frost and the 3 micron frost can be seen. The glasses I've made are as bright and fine as any I've seen anywhere else, including satin snow glasses.

If anyone wants a more in depth description, I can give it, though it is very simple.
    -Chris

Hi Christopher,

What was your process? I've used 5 and 3 micron aluminum oxide (telescope mirror grinding grade), and I got "scratches" in addition to the diffusion.

If anyone wants a more in depth description, I can give it, though it is very simple.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peter J. De Smidt View Post
    Hi Christopher,

What was your process? I've used 5 and 3 micron aluminum oxide (telescope mirror grinding grade), and I got "scratches" in addition to the diffusion.
    Then you apply too much pressure with the finer grain.
    Coarse grain can have 15Kg, with the finest grain I only apply about 3Kg.

Aluminium oxide is also more prone to scratching the glass than silicium carbide.

G