Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Anti-Newton Spray?

Which Anti-Newton Spray?

And where to buy it?

Any chance that a $5 can of Krylon Matte Clear does the same thing?

Here I am scanning 8x10 TMX on a flatbed w AN glass on top, emulsion down, just like I've been told to do... but it is a humid day and I am getting nothing but Newton Rings...

I tried talcum powder but it clumps and I can't get it finely distributed...

grrr...

Re: Which Anti-Newton Spray?

Try an anti-newton spray from a company called Prazio. I have several of their products.

Quote Originally Posted by felix5616 View Post
    Try an anti-newton spray from a company called Prazio. I have several of their products.
    Yep. Works well and is easy to remove from the film without harming it or causing any contamination that will hurt the film's archivalness (no, I'm not going to define what that means ;-). Good for about a 3-4x enlargement. After that you can see it in the scan as a sorta gritty look. If you need more enlargement than that, time for a full fluid mount.

Bruce Watson

3d Visual Effects artist

After trying a few things (wanting not to get chemicals/liquids involved) I ended up finding the solution that works best for me, with zero newton's rings! I take the ANR glass, tape my film to the matte side of the glass (emulsion towards the ANR matte surface, 1 piece of tape for each corner, and 1 piece for each side, 8 in total) then I 'suspend' the glass/film over my scanner by placing 1 penny at each corner of the glass, with the film facing the scanner glass. This suspends the film over the scanner glass so that the film doesn't touch it (which means no rings!) and the emulsion side touching the ANR glass again leaves no rings :-)

It's not as fast a setup as I would like, but in reality it only takes a few minutes, and seems to work perfectly! I ordered my ANR glass a bit larger than my film, so that I could place the pennies in the corners of the glass and not have the pennies actually touch the film, so no scratches. :-)
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

LJ Segil

Daniel--what kind of scanner are you using and have you found any focusing problems when elevating the film?
    Larry

Well Frank I hate to suggest it but visit your wifes bathroom. Borrow a hair dryer and gently heat the scanner plate and the film to drive off moisture. It's tricky, but don't heat too hot. Also there is a risk that as the film/plate cool during the scan there will be contraction in the neg which could change the image dimension ever so slightly. But recently this has worked for me in my basement darkroom.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Daniel - that works like a charm! thanks

Emulsion goes up, not down.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

3d Visual Effects artist

Quote Originally Posted by ljsegil View Post
    Daniel--what kind of scanner are you using and have you found any focusing problems when elevating the film?
    I'm using an Epson 4990, which I believe is 'focused' a slight bit above the glass, so the pennies actually probably put the film close to the correct focus area too. But that was not my reason for suspending the film/glass, it was so that the film didn't touch the scanner glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Daniel - that works like a charm! thanks
    good! Are you using a 4990 too? I was going bonkers over the newton's rings myself too. I absolutly love shooting 8x10, looking at the larger glass is addictive! But I was having so much trouble scanning the film, I was bummed about that so I stopped shooting 8x10 it for a bit until I figured out my scanning method with the pennies and ANR glass. I guess 8x10 is really to big for film holders (like for 4x5 sheets) cause the film will sag down to much?

If you're using the 4990, you need to watch out at the top of the scanning glass (area closest to the lid hinge) you can't cover up that last 1/3 inch or so, the area that the "film area guide" mask has a notch cut out of it. For some reason, if you cover that area up (with a penny, glass, or whatever) the scanner will put a black line through the image. I don't quite understand why, but when you cover up that area the scanner thinks you're trying to use a film holder or something. Here was my post that has more info if you ever have the same problem!

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=37732

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan View Post
    Emulsion goes up, not down.
    For my method, the emulsion faces up, up against the ANR glass. So from top to bottom it is:

ANR glass (matteside down), Film (emulsion up) taped to the matte side of the ANR glass, Pennies, Scanner glass.
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Here I am scanning 8x10 TMX on a flatbed w AN glass on top, emulsion down, just like I've been told to do... but it is a humid day and I am getting nothing but Newton Rings...
    Why not use what all the pros use - Kami or some other form of liquid? It seems like an exercise in futility when there is something that works and doesn't hurt the film...

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing