Howdy,

Do you architectural photographers/lawyers have any anecdotal or legal informati on about the necessity for a release for photographing a private home? My situation is this: I have photographed houses -- I was usually standing on pu blic property (the street or sidewalk) at the time -- and they will soon be publ ished in a book. The publisher is concerned about being sued for violation of r ights of privacy & property, and had asked me to sign a warranty indemnifying th em against any claims to that effect. I have verbal permission from most of the homeowners, written releases from a few (including the owner of the house on th e book's cover), but there are a few who I am unable to contact for permission. Also, some have since died or sold their houses to new owners.

It has been my understanding that if you are using a photograph for editorial (e .g. educational) purposes inside a book, and did not trespass, you do not need a property release.

Keeping in mind that it will be impossible for me to obtain all fifty of the rel eases, what would you estimate is my likely liability exposure here?

Thanks.