Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Logan mat cutter question

Logan mat cutter question

Hi all !
    I'm thinking to buy Logan mat cutter - 301s or 700 model, but can't find very important data - what is the max. mat thicknes these models can cut without problems ?
    Thanks,
    Igor.

Re: Logan mat cutter question

In my experience, cutting any more than 4 ply rag board starts to get tricky - you can cut more, but the flex in the blade can cause problems. IMO, you need some experience before you will start to achieve consistent results on thick board.

8 ply is not a problem with the Logan...as Don mentioned, it is just a matter of a little practice and figuring out the different start/stop points. I don't find 8-ply to be any trickier than 4-ply...just twice as expensive when one blows it!

I have used the 650 with very consistent results to cut 8 ply mat bevels. I would recommend it. Got mine from an auction seller. Bevels cut with very little resistance in one pass on 4 ply, I do 8 ply with two passes.

Doing the straight cuts to cut mat boards down to size is easily accomplished on 4 ply in a single pass but it takes a bit of patience and several passes to do straight cuts on 8 ply (because the blade has to push the board aside on each side, when you are doing bevels, the material just "lifts" away from the other side of the cut.)

I have a Logan 750 probably. I recommend a model with the perpendicular metal guide that they offer on the 750. I use this bar to keep the board straight, instead of the edge bar on the body of the matte cutter. In fact, I've removed the edge bar.

I am not familiar with Logan products, so can not help you in making a choice. However, they seem to be economical if that is your budget, and you are not doing much volume. My personal choice is the Fletcher line of 2000 cutters which are excellent. Sometimes it is worth the extra money to buy top of the line and pro rate the expense over many years. Just a thought.

Replacing the blade after cutting each 8-ply mat will give good results.

The 301 does a nice job on 4 ply. Be very steady because any little wobble on the 301 with 4 ply will show. Go slow and steady or you'll end up with a curve in your bevel cut.
    Last edited by shmoo; 6-Oct-2008 at 09:57. Reason: my english are terrible...

Thanks to all for so informative answers !
    Best,
    Igor.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    8 ply is not a problem with the Logan...
    Vaughn,

I would strongly disagree, especially with the 301 model. 8 ply is virtually impossible to cut straight with this model. I have no experience with the other Logans.

Don Bryant