Thread: Suggestions for Tripod Head?

Suggestions for Tripod Head?

Good to go for the 11x14, but my 5x7 setup needs a head. The tripod I have is the Induro C214 (rated for 17.4 pounds) that is supporting a Wisner 5x7 Technical Field camera (10 pounds, no lens).

Silly as it may seem given the camera, I'm trying to keep weight down. I've typically preferred pan/tilt heads, but you could talk me into something else. I'm also struggling to decide if a quick release setup is right for me. Your thoughts?

As for budget, under $300 would be nice. But I'm up for any suggestion, really.

Other thoughts: The Induro comes with a case, would be nice if the head fit in with it. It's got maybe 4-5" or so of extra room.

Thanks for the help!
    --A

Re: Suggestions for Tripod Head?

Take a look at a Reis head - large flat platform, low profile, and easy to use mounting screw so you won't need the quick release.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

A, I just got a Gitzo 1570M low profile Magnesium head for my 11x14 set up. This head is great and light weight. I got it off of this site for $ 190. The new heads are $250? The head will hold 22 lbs. and I know it will handle my 11x14 with no problem. Now I need to finish building my second Walnut tripod.

Jim

Reis heads are nice (I have the double tilt head for the A100) but also a bit heavy. Speaking of weight....Jim, how much does that head weigh? Also, will the handle fold vertically to fit in a case?

--A

Terence

The handle unscrews. The handle is supposedly slightly fragile, but I have yet to break it and I'm not always gentle with it.

For it's size and strength, it's pretty light, but I don't have a scale.

How big is the top platform of your tripod? The base of the 1570M is pretty wide (probably 4") and wants a wide platform to land on.

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

A, the Gitzo head is about 2 1/2 to 3 lbs. The diameter of the base is 3 1/8". The platform is about 6 1/2 x 4". Mine has two 3/8" screws for the tripod. It is a great smooth head. For the 11x14 I'm going to like it a lot better than the Majestic. The profile is much lower. My Majestic head is 7" tall and the Gitzo is 4" tall. Like Terrance said the handles can unscrew. It will be nice to have a lower center of gravity with my 16lb. Walnut 11x14.

Jim

Thanks, guys, I'm pretty well sold. Adding it to my xmas list. Terence, the platform on the tripod is relatively small - maybe 2 inches or so. That should be ok though, right?