Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Took the plunge.....Ansco 8X10

wfwhitaker

Re: Took the plunge.....Ansco 8X10

The Ansco's are good solid cameras and largely undervalued on today's market. I second the suggestion of a 14" Commercial Ektar. It's a wonderful lens. A very similar lens which is frequently available is the Caltar 14 3/4". Slightly longer focal length than the Ektar, but the image quality is virtually identical. Either lens will serve you well.

A another highly regarded yet undervalued lens is the Wollensak 1a if you're considering a triple convertible.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

If you got it last week, you need to pay $3oo. It's a great camera, make a few lens board and buy some old lens. Make sure to make a metal bar, drill with holes to fit in the two 1/4 screw and drill serval holes in line and tap (suggest 3/8) to get the center point for balance. You need a big head (gear head), some film holder and take picture. I have the older model and really enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Lakin View Post
    I found that it required new bellows which cost me twice what you paid for your camera
    I've noted that you have the C-1 unit that has the option of taking an extra front rail, for maximum extension; likely for close-up requirements. This is the same as my current user. The other one, that I've got up for sale, is the most common type, without the optional front railboard. I've never seen the optional front rail for sale, and besides my ancient bellows probably wouldn't be able to stretch out that far anymore. I think if I was doing regular macro work on 8x10, I'd rather get extension tubes fabricated for the lensboards, to save weight and bulk.

Thanks for all the great tips and info everyone. It must be my week because I just make a low ball Best Offer on a lens and the seller accepted. It's a Linhof selected Schneider Kreuznach Symmar 210/370mm convertible lens in a Prontor shutter. I figure it's a good place to start as it'll give me two focal lengths to try and from what I read the 370 configuration is great for portraits when opened up. Not bad for $200.00.

Take care,

Jim

Vanannan

Quote Originally Posted by Paddy McKay View Post
    I've noted that you have the C-1 unit that has the option of taking an extra front rail, for maximum extension; likely for close-up requirements. This is the same as my current user. The other one, that I've got up for sale, is the most common type, without the optional front railboard. I've never seen the optional front rail for sale, and besides my ancient bellows probably wouldn't be able to stretch out that far anymore. I think if I was doing regular macro work on 8x10, I'd rather get extension tubes fabricated for the lensboards, to save weight and bulk.
    Hi Paddy
    I guess I was lucky in that the extension rail was included with my camera and the reason why I had to pay so much for the replacement bellows was the length.

Jim,
    I've had one of these for about 10 years. It's a great camera and you'll have fun with it.

Terry

Well it came and it's in great shape. I did the extension rail for the front and I see how it goes on (I think) but I can't for the life of me figure out how to lock it on. Does it stay on by faith and good wishes alone or is there another method?

You will love the schneider lens , i have the same lens, it must be 50 yrs old and it is tack sharp.