Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Professor of Photography - NYC - Position Announcement

Re: Professor of Photography - NYC - Position Announcement

..The University encourages applications from historically under-represented individuals, ...
    When I graduated with a BS I applied to everything from picking up shit in the street to scraping old food off airline trays.

I applied for a job at a local University as an offset printer helper and was told by the nonwhite guy that I wasn't the right color for the job and need not apply for any further positions.

Before I left I informed him that the title of the position I wasn't qualified for was really called "Offset Printer Helper" and not "Offset Supplicator Helper". He said, "Oh I got that one wrong".

We'll if I worked at Stony Brook, the home of William Sidney Mount, the father of American Genre Painting, I'd try to find an old potato farm (if they even still exist) further out on the island, and let the other 80% of the faculty live in NYC (the city of my birth). I've had it with cities. Too slow. Country living is far more fast pace. In the city there are too many people in your way. You've got to rush here and rush there to get a simple task done. You can waste an entire day simply by waiting for others. In the country, you want to get something done, you just do it. No one in your way. That's why Jackson Pollock moved to the end of Long Island instead of living in the city. Outside the city one can THINK.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

I'll stick to teaching at my local 4-year liberal arts college where the historically underrepresented are farmers. Grin.

Today my class goes on a walking field trip with cameras. FUN.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

I knew someone who lived in a house that belonged to an old potato farm in Long Island City in Queens, just over the Triborough Bridge. It was a great place with a huge old style kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Alec4444
    David, remember there's other New Yorkers on this forum to keep exaggerations like that in check.... C'mon now.
    No joke about the commute from the Morningside Heights to Brooklyn. We were living near Columbia U. and she was working in Mill Basin, which was two subways, a bus, and a walk--around two hours each way. Penn Station to Philadelphia is about an hour and fifteen minutes to two hours by train.

I regret to inform everyone that this search has been canceled due to the ongoing NY State Budget Crisis.

Quote Originally Posted by andrew vincent View Post
    I regret to inform everyone that this search has been canceled due to the ongoing NY State Budget Crisis.
    Not surprising, I think this will be happening across the country.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

At the UofO, an alternative name for "Terminal Degree" was "Career Student" which could be defined as a decades long student with no "real world concepts or experience".

Another definition of "Terminal Degree" meant to have achieved the final degree in any field, shortly before the onset of death, regardless of age at death.

It's very likely that the shock of finding out the true value of higher degrees in the real world, causes the onset of death.

Don Nelson

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Allow me to, umm, deconstruct:

.The University encourages applications from historically under-represented individuals,

OMG White Males!?
    Hmmm, they must mean photographers doing competent large format landscape photography by either Female or Male, by any ethnic background,etc.

Such traditional f64 style B&W has been under-represented for soooooooo many years with university programs.....

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Many excellent artists have "terminal degrees" these days. Many don't. But since this is a notice for an academic job, I don't see why it's strange to ask for academic credentials. They're expected in every other department at every other university, except in special cases.

At any rate, they can ask for whatever they want. They will probably get many hundreds of applications. The tragedy of an MFA is that it results in as much debt as any other degree, but makes you eligible only for jobs that turn up every couple of years!

I'm willing to bet that whoever gets the job is overqualified for it.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Don7x17 View Post
    Hmmm, they must mean photographers doing competent large format landscape photography by either Female or Male, by any ethnic background,etc.

Such traditional f64 style B&W has been under-represented for soooooooo many years with university programs.....
    kinda the way people doing frescoes, or cave drawings with burnt sticks, are underrepresented in painting programs.