Thread: Nagaoka 45

Nagaoka 45

Saw one today that also has a 5x7 back with it. Anyone recommend it or stay away for 5x7? I also have a Kodak 2D 5x7 but this camera is so much smaller and am considering buying it.

Re: Nagaoka 45

Assuming you're talking about a 4x5 with a 5x7 expansion back: with expansion backs there are typically some combinations of focal length, bellows extension and movements that will result in image cutoff. The exact combinations that are problematic vary with the individual camera and extension back designs.

As Oren said 5x7 extension back for 4x5 camera has its own limitations - you’ll have very limited camera movement maneuvres. Nagaoka 4x5 is very lightweight construction and that with additional 5x7 combination will make setup workable but troublesome even without movements at least to me.
    I’m extensivelly using Anba Ikeda 4x5 (same camera as Nagaoka) for day hikes in the mountains now (20 miles range with 1 km elevation gain) and would highy recommend this camera for similar purposes. Otherwise look for more modern 4x5 model and you’ll have more sturdy controls an more comfort at setup.

Agree

Extetenion backs make a butterfly a snake

Seems Japan loved them as they made many

I have a Siver 4x5 with wonderful screen
    Tin Can

Arca-Swiss

Quote Originally Posted by campy View Post
    Saw one today that also has a 5x7 back with it. Anyone recommend it or stay away for 5x7? I also have a Kodak 2D 5x7 but this camera is so much smaller and am considering buying it.
    Be apprised most of these cameras are limmted to 210mm as the longest for 5x7. They often vignette a lot with longer lenses.

Wista used to have one as well for its wood field cameras.

5x7 is a nice format, especially if you enjoyed 35mm/FF photography. Similar shape/format dimension.

Almost twice the image sq inches at not much more penalty in weight.

Rod
    Rod Klukas
    US Representative
    Arca-Swiss USA
    480-755-3364
    www.arca-swiss-usa.com

I had a 4x5 Nag as my first large format camera. I used it for landscape work predominately. The longest lens I used with it was a Komura 400mm telephoto and the weight of this lens was pushing the limits. It was a great little camera and gave me years of use until the tripod head let go with the Komura on it and busted the extension. My next 4x5 was a Shen Hao and I was unpleasantly surprised by the weight. It felt like almost double. And then I went to 8x10.