Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Change Announcement

Re: Forum Change Announcement

Geary, just take your desire to discuss politics and religion somewhere else if you feel that strongly. I have zero sympathy for your arguments because they are not valid. May I remind you what the purpose of this forum is - LARGE FORMAT PHOTOGRAPHY and NOT politics/religion or anything else. On top of that it is a private forum owned by one heck of a generous person who does not even take a dime from us to support this site. And you compare it to censorship and book burning - total BS. There are thousands of other sites out there where you can discuss almost anything all day long - go and find them.

I agree 100% wih Brian Ellis and his analogy.
    Juergen

Quote Originally Posted by Juergen Sattler View Post
    Geary, just take your desire to discuss politics and religion somewhere else if you feel that strongly. I have zero sympathy for your arguments because they are not valid. May I remind you what the purpose of this forum is - LARGE FORMAT PHOTOGRAPHY and NOT politics/religion or anything else. On top of that it is a private forum owned by one heck of a generous person who does not even take a dime from us to support this site. And you compare it to censorship and book burning - total BS. There are thousands of other sites out there where you can discuss almost anything all day long - go and find them.

The forum has areas that are not devoted to large format photography, specifically; annocements, business, digital hardware, digital processing, location & travel, on photography. That's 6 out of 13 sub-forums that are not dedicated to large format photography and out of the remaining 7, there are multiple conversations that don't have anything to do with large format photography. Your suggestion to do away with any and all conversations having nothing to do with large format photography would remove over 70% of the discussions currently taking place on this forum.

This forum is really a forum about photography and anything having to do with photography with a special emphasis on large format. There are multiple issues in the world today that effect photographers, including religion and politics. Should the admins here ban discussions of photographers whose work relates to religion or politics?

Quote Originally Posted by Juergen Sattler View Post

Thank you Juergen. You post is epitome of my concern. The post demonstrates the exact thinking that I find so repugnant. "Love it or leave it"! What a concept. How unique a philosophy, in this day and age.

I appreciate your validation!
    Cheers,
    Geary
    Small Minds...What cannot be cured, must be endured.

People deal with it. This system is not a democracy. If you aren't a moderator, you don't get a vote. Get over it. I do believe the domain name to this place is LARGEFORMATPHOTOGRAPHY.INFO not Largeformatphotographyandreligionandpolitics.INFO.

Deal with it. It is what it is. Start your own LF forum with the ability to post stuff about other topics if that's the type of system you want. Either enjoy what is provided to you for absolutely no cost or go away.

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by FocusMag View Post
    The forum has areas that are not devoted to large format photography, specifically; annocements, business, digital hardware, digital processing, location & travel, on photography. That's 6 out of 13 sub-forums that are not dedicated to large format photography and out of the remaining 7, there are multiple conversations that don't have anything to do with large format photography. Your suggestion to do away with any and all conversations having nothing to do with large format photography would remove over 70% of the discussions currently taking place on this forum.
    That really does show your complete ignorance of what this forum is about - all those subforums are how they relate to large format photography. None of them about those topics in isolation. For example, the digital hardware forum is not for discussion of 35mm scanners. It is, however, for discussion of scanners for large format film.

Don't bother Don, some people just need to see things their own distorted way to somehow prove a point. People of a reasonably rational mind, like you and I, realize that what he has to say in this respect is completely irrational.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hutton View Post
    That really does show your complete ignorance of what this forum is about - all those subforums are how they relate to large format photography. None of them about those topics in isolation. For example, the digital hardware forum is not for discussion of 35mm scanners. It is, however, for discussion of scanners for large format film.

I just checked...

www.spivaksworldofphotographyandfreespeech.com is available.

Don, Brian, you are exactly right. All the sub forums are for LF related topics. For example a discussion about computer hardware is relevant, because it is a tool we need to process scanned files even though LF may never be mentioned, but a topic about scanning 35 mm film specifically or processing DSLR files in ACR belongs in the lounge. Topics about book design or matting prints are relevant even though LF may not be mentioned etc. Aesthetic topics are generally universal and applicable to LF even though LF may not even be mentioned in the post, but a discussion about a specific 35mm photographer and his technique should end up in the lounge unless it is made relevant to LF by something like "how can I get the Lee Friedlander 35mm look in my LF photography?". This is not a commercial forum selling ads that needs allot of traffic to justify ad rates. That gives us the freedom to to be a very specific resource for a unique group of photographers.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

If we follow the logic of the moderators other topics to be banned should be digital vs silver, anything related to pyro, and all other issues where we witnessed the darkest recesses of the mind of some members come through.
    But this hardly would be a fruitful decision, because we are not acting on the root of the cause, which is the person who acts out the beahviour but merely on the symptom, so to speak.
    The reason I insists on this is exactly the same Geary explained: I feel offended and deprived of very valuable information, offered mainly by Donald Miller that I wouldn't have the time and the will to research.

About those Rodinals, eh!?