Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loading HP Combi Tank 4x5's in film changing tent

Loading HP Combi Tank 4x5's in film changing tent

Setting up my little bathroom darkroom takes some time and with the HP Combi daylight tank for developing I really would only need to set it up for contact printing IF it is possible to load the film into the Combi in a Harrison tent or Photoflex. Does anyone have real life experience doing this and if so what is the smallest tent one can use? Thanks, Zack

Re: Loading HP Combi Tank 4x5's in film changing tent

I have a 4x5 tent and have loaded a combiplan inside the tent. It is pretty awkward, but I guess if I did it a lot more it would become easier. The problem is loading the film into the guide rails which requires precise loading from above. It would be easier in a larger tent.

It's currently the only way I have to develop my sheet film.
    It's not that awkward, but one needs to be proficient enough and organized enough to load as fast as possible.

Most important : stay cool and determined ;-)

It's also very important that you do practice runs with the CombiPlan. Both out of the loading tent and when you've got the hang of it, inside the loading tent. Do a couple of extra practice runs just before the real thing. This will make you more confident and you will succeed with it.
    (Unless you already have some 6 waisted sheets of film, 3 sheets will do, as that is what is needed to feel that you've done it right on one side.)

//Björn

I've used a large changing bag (no frame) and it is no problem.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

I would think that the photoflex changing tent I've got is pretty good for this purpose though I haven't tried it yet. Its tall and square which should give you room to work with the tank from above.

Thanks everybody,
    I've become pretty comfortable loading the HP Combi but worry about having enough workable height - which is why the Photoflex is looking good.
    Cheers, Zack

I load my Combi-plan tank inside my pup size Harrison tent often and it works great. Like others have said, it can be a little cramped so stay organized inside the tent.

I also found it helpful to load the tank when no one is home so that my wife doesn't sneak up and tickle me while I have my arms in the sleeves.

I used a very large changing bag. The problem with them is there isn't any empty space. They flatten at every opportunity. That's not too useful for something like a combiplan, but it's usable.

You should try and get the largest tent you can afford. It's comfort more than anything.

Ron Miller

I use the Combi tank for 4x5 since I have no darkroom. Loading and unloading using my Harrison tent is not an issue at all. I will say that while you can get pretty quick at doing this, it is best to take your time. I have had issues where the film left the track during inversion. This was my fault, not the fault of the tank. So while I can load a tank in just a few minutes, I take the time to make sure all sheets are properly seated.