Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Artist absent at gallery opening

Re: Artist absent at gallery opening

Quote Originally Posted by Louie Powell View Post
    There are probably a dozen or more shows of Ansel Adams work in North America each year, and sadly, he can't make it to any of them.
    Likely a good thing, all things considered - 1984 was quite some time ago...

All joking aside, I've attended good number of art openings for all variety of artists work, not just photography, and I've never not seen the artist there. As I understand it, it is considered very bad form to miss even the opening of a small show.

- Randy

Well there were also two entirely different Ansel Adams exhibitions in the UK. One has been shown at three galleries so far I'd I guess is due at more.

Adrian is also right, it's only big name photographers (alive & well) who can afford not to be at every opening, but you can be sure that they'll be at the bigger more prestigious galleries.

Ian

Were I the gallery owner I'd be rather unhappy should an artist fail to show at a solo opening without good reason and prior agreement. I'd be feeling like any thought of a selling partnership had been dropped. Group shows are different.

C

I agree completely
    We are in the whirlwind of opening the Dylan Ellis Gallery at our location right this moment, our first artist is Joe Cornish from the UK, third week in October followed by Bill Schwab in Feb, and they both will indeed be at the openings. There is so much work that goes into prepping for openings from our standpoint I think it is a crucial, crucial step for the artist to be present. Not being present will kill sales, that is for sure.
    Our goal is to open a partnership between ourselves and each artist we show, not showing up to an opening would really hurt that relationship.

Quote Originally Posted by CG View Post
    Were I the gallery owner I'd be rather unhappy should an artist fail to show at a solo opening without good reason and prior agreement. I'd be feeling like any thought of a selling partnership had been dropped. Group shows are different.

C

I would think if it's a one man show an appearance at the opening would be a contractual obligation. If I owned a gallery it sure would be.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.

Quote Originally Posted by Louie Powell View Post
    There are probably a dozen or more shows of Ansel Adams work in North America each year, and sadly, he can't make it to any of them.
    I don't know what's wrong with you, man. He was right there... standing right next to Elvis. How did you miss him?

;-)

Lenny
    EigerStudios
    Museum Quality Drum Scanning and Printing

I hear there is a travelling shrine with relics of St Ansel, and some galleries even say they have a genuine piece of the wood from his tripod.

It's not a contractual obligation to appear at your own opening. I have a missed a few of my openings due to the distance involved or my already being on location somewhere. It's best if you're there and it's one of the draws for the opening night. Also you are likely to increase the sales because people sometimes are more likely to buy a piece if they know the backstory behind it, and hearing that come from the artist personalizes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian K View Post
    It's not a contractual obligation to appear at your own opening.
    Brian's right, and many galleries will be booking exhibitions knowing the Photographer won't be present.

However galleries who know the photographer won't be present indicate this in some way. What is wrong is when it's implied and assumed a photographer will be prsent and he/she doesn't turn up.

Ian

I never said it was a contractual obligation, I just said if was my gallery it would be.
    Eric Rose
    www.ericrose.com

I don't play the piano, I don't have a beard and I listen to AC/DC in the darkroom. I have no hope as a photographer.