Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Modern lens with old picture look

Re: Modern lens with old picture look

Hi all,

you could always try aero duplicating film, it's blue sensitive only and no anti-halation backing for glowing highlights. Virtually grainless and really slow, about ASA 1, so a hat-trick shutter is no problem. Definite 'old time' look to it.

come to the dark s(l)ide..... Carsten Wolff's Avatar
    Australia at the moment, Spain or UK one day perhaps

SadChi,
    E.g. Dan Fromm's first reply hits the nail on the head. The consumables and processes are your key, not so much the optics themselves(although rounder apertures and uncoated lenses MAY also "assist"). Film format choice (!) also becomes relevant in many ways: Look e.g. at Jim Galli's page for some inspiration; not only if out-of-focus work is your thing .
    It's hard to judge what exact "vintage" look you're after. Along Paul's above comment: If you 're happy to experiment, you can also try to get hold of (no longer made and VERY slow (~5-6ASA for halftones)) Kodalith Ortho, Type 3 Film (I think Ilford still makes Ortho-film though) and as a starting-point develop in Rodinal at 1:100 for, say, 10 minutes. You'll find many other formulae on the web.
    All the best!
    http://www.jeffbridges.com/perception.html "Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you are right."

Thanks to all. Now i have a lot of food for my mind and for experiments.

3d Visual Effects artist

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Um, Daniel, those old Petzvals were designed and made as carefully as modern lenses are. No one, except perhaps the clowns who make and sell LensBabies, has set out to make a bad lens. Many makers have made lenses to prices, which is very different from making bad lenses.

There are modern -- or relatively modern -- Petzval types, and I'm surprised that none of the people here who want the awful effects they give when abused has mentioned trying them. Projection lenses. The lenses used in overhead projectors have lotsa coverage too, but as I understand it getting the nauseating swirly bokeh requires using a lens on a format it won't cover.
    ah, sorry. I thought I ready somewhere that the petzval type lenses were not as critical (for the spacing of the elements) as more modern designs are.

My favorite Petzval so far is a projection lens I don't know how old it is though. The 'real' petzval protrait lenses are too expensive for me.

I've been playing with individual (and double) lens elements when I have free time, this was one of my better results here, I think with the right subject and a blue gel over the lens, it would have an old portrait feel

Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Buck View Post
    ah, sorry. I thought I ready somewhere that the petzval type lenses were not as critical (for the spacing of the elements) as more modern designs are.

My favorite Petzval so far is a projection lens I don't know how old it is though. The 'real' petzval protrait lenses are too expensive for me

I've been playing with individual (and double) lens elements when I have free time, this was one of my better results:

Nice picture indeed.

I was wondering if there is a lens filter that can block certain light waves that can replicate Wetplate?

Quote Originally Posted by SadChi View Post
    Hello,

Is there any modern lens with shutter that has similar to old lenses RR, Aplanat, petzval picture (not so contrasty, good bokeh)?

Thanks.
    No.
    But if you get an uncoated Dagor, you can use it wide open. The uncorrected spherical abberation wide open might get you the look you want. If you want sharp, stop it down, correct for the focus shift, and you'll be able to shave with the images.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Foamer

I had a small E&HT Anthony mounted in a Copal 1 with a machined adapter. It's great! Not expensive either.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by DELTAFOUR1212 View Post
    I was wondering if there is a lens filter that can block certain light waves that can replicate Wetplate?
    A blue filter will help give you the same spectral results of Wetplate, which can assist you in getting a vintage look....or use Blue Sensitive X-ray film.

Alex Timmermans

making a good ambrotype is easier than make a decent bariet print...
    I have used several petzval lenses and wide open there isn't much difference between a good petzval projection lens and expensive Petzvals.

Alex
    "You dont take a picture, it's given to you"

www.alextimmermans.com
    www.collodion-art.blogspot.com
    email : collodion-art dot onsmail dot nl