Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Sinar Shutter on Field Camera

Re: Sinar Shutter on Field Camera

Allen,

It could. But to be honest, I don't know if I ever that a front standard drop accidentally. The Phillips locks down pretty snugly.

There is a lock mechanism on the camera that levels off the front standard so that you can do rise/fall without a tilt. This gets in the way of the shutter and that is way I mounted it upside down. It is also easier to see when the camera is placed at a high vantage point.

If you move the locking mechanism to the other side of the front standard, they this could be mounted right side up.

John

here is my wista 8x10 with sinar shutter, all I had to do was mounting it reverse (male side to camera).
    a lens mounted flush with the lensboard like my ronar 600 fits directly onto the shutter, for lenses with protruding rear cells I use this wooden adapter that substantially puts an inch or so between the shutter and the back of the lens.
    I am now working on having the big apo nikkor 610 in this setup.

attachments follow, first one is the nikkor 480 with the adapter, the other are of the ronar 600 setup.

andre

One more tip - when or if you locate a source for the extra throw cable releases needed by this shutter (Gepes are not long enough -- most people use the $100 Sinar ones) by all means get as many cable releases as you can afford.

Quote Originally Posted by Carioca View Post
    I'm not sure if a Sinar F can be called a 'field camera'.
    To my knowledge, field cameras are 'foldings', etc. ...
    there is an option with a sliding back but this has now been superceeded (and surpassed) by the arTec camera which is portable arTec camera specifications

Quote Originally Posted by John T View Post
    ....... I removed the aperture setting device and readout, shortened the lever to close the shutter and removed the sync jack........
    Thank you John,
    Can you tell us how easy or hard it was to remove the aperture portion of the shutter?
    It looks like Merg has done this too?

Quote Originally Posted by bardamu View Post
    .....first one is the nikkor 480 with the adapter.....

andre
    I just picked up a Nikkor apo 480 this weekend too, looking forward to seeing what it can do. I will play with a Packard first and then venture into the perhaps the Sinar later.

Clay

Who can service these Sinar shutters? I have one, but it is dead. It will cock, but the release doesn't move the blades. Which is sort of the idea.

Pretty sure Precision Camera Works (Bob Watkins) can. He used to work for Sinar before Arca, he works on both.

we can do servicing / repair on all sinar cameras.
    however I have detailed technical drawings and setup/adjustment proceedures which I have made into pdf's- too big to post here. These include component parts data and image2output can supply the components for those proficient enough.- email the required partnumber and contact details to sales@image2output.com.

if anyyone wants specific data please email me direct and I will give them a download location for the partlists/drawings

Some current product data I have included under the specific products on the image2output site.

p3 for example

I have one, but it is dead. It will cock, but the release doesn't move the blades.

Mine gets into this state, when the little doo-hickey needs to move, but can't - because a lens or board comes too close to the front of the shutter.

If that's the case, then it is easy to fix. If you look at the second photo I have posted - the male side of the shutter - you will see a red dot at the bottom of the unit. Just above that, there is a pin which slides along a curved path.

If you move that pin, gently, along that path (counter-clock-wise in the photo), you will hear a click. Once that has happened, you should be able to cock and trip the shutter normally again.