Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: LF in the movies

Re: LF in the movies

Quote Originally Posted by gari beet View Post
    Don't remember the name of the film, Alec Guiness plays a husband keen on photography, chats to some other character re his new Thornton Pickard, WP Ithink.

Comes to a sticky end when his shed/darkroom is blown up. Guiness as usual plays several of the roles in a comedy murder mystery. Anyone else remember it or am I having a senior moment?

Gari
    The film you refer to was Kind Hearts and Coronets starring Alec Guinness in a variety of roles and Dennis Pryce as the "villain".

IIRC "The Naked City" had some LF photography in it. Wegee made a cameo appearance.

The 8x10 Deardorff with 14" commercial Ektar lens used for a portrait in the movie Pollock (2000, I think), discussed in an earlier thread:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...hlight=pollock

Not a movie but a music video with what look like press cameras but someone else will have to identify them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EB15B...626AE&index=11

joseph

Since we're also mentioning TV series-

There was a New York advertising photographer called Felix Unger, the prissy, neurotic, OCD character in the Odd Couple- a spin-off from the movie of the same name.

I do remember seeing him use a big camera in at least one episode, looked like an 8x10. Can't remember exactly, I was only a child...

Not sure if the same character in the movie had a job description-

Just watched "The Last Station" last night; about the final days of Tolstoy, starring Helen Mirren, Christopher Plummer, James McAvoy, etc. Lots of view cameras and early motion picture cameras. As one reviewer put it:

"We even get a glimpse of early paparazzi, as a dedicated cadre of view camera equipped photographers hang out on the Tolstoy property to document the outward manifestations of the marital discord taking place within."

And there was plenty of disfunction to photograph!

This group appeared numerous times in the film. Poor quality photo attached...
    David Aimone Photography
    Critiques always welcome...

Coming up Sunday, 9 a.m. Eastern, Turner Classic Movies: "Abe Lincoln in Illinois."

It's a lackluster film, but at one point we see the Lincoln familiy in a photography studio sitting for a photographer and a big studio camera.

Abe is uncooperative, tickling his son and not staying still. The photographer is more patient than I would have been.

Jan Troell - Maria Larssons eviga ögonblick / Everlasting Moments of Maria Larsson / Everlasting Moments (a very scandinavian movie)!

No LF but don't miss Jan Troell's documentary on his friend and photographer Georg Oddner "Närvarande"

Quote Originally Posted by Micheal Clark View Post
    A TV series in the late 50's early 60's called Love that Bob,a comedy about a playboy photographer and his photo studio.Large format cameras on tripods, light stands and young women in swim suits.
    Since your post I have been trying to stretch my memory for the name of the 'actor'.

Finally it came to me that it was Bob Cummings. I remember it as the Bob Cummings Show, but the reruns were renamed Love That Bob. I concur with opinions here that the show was insipid. While I was involved with photography at that time, I bothered to view very few episodes. His Girl Friday was called Schultzie, I believe.
    al

The long suffering Schultzy was Ann B. Davis....later the housekeeper on the 'Brady Bunch'.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg

Trying to remember, was there any large format stuff in "The Eyes of Laura Mars" or was that almost totally 35mm? Fairly decent flick in any case.
    "One of the greatest necessities in America is to discover creative solitude." Carl Sandburg