Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: LF in the movies

Re: LF in the movies

Scene in Godfather III mentioned by Robert Jonathan.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

The only movie I remember where a camera played a role was some crime drama I saw on TV when I was a kid. I don't remember the camera, but at one point the plot hung on the negative. The two actors in the particular scene had to keep enlarging and enlarging the negative to see a date on a newspaper. I remember thinking, "ah, that's just Hollywood." I didn't know that the negative was measured in inches...

Press photographers with your ever-so-familiar devices hobbling John Basilone in part 7 of The Pacific mini-series.

joseph

Big cameras are used at least twice in the movie
    'The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford'.
    It's been a while since I've seen the movie, but the photographing of the corpse towards the end of the movie was memorable-
    I can't actually remember whether it was memorable good or bad though, from the perspective of describing the operation of the camera, but depiction of the setting up of the shot seemed convincing.

Some interesting lenses were used to shoot this movie too, some of them too short for the format- they didn't look like Petzvals, not swirly, but definitely softer at the edges-

Not a movie exactly...........from Pulp's This is Hardcore........one of the finest music videos ever made.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXbLyi5wgeg

"There are two dirty words in photography; one is 'art', and the other is 'good taste'." - Helmut Newton

The fictional American reporter, Jackson Bentley (played by Arthur Kennedy), who follows Lawrence in Lawrence of Arabia uses a strut camera.

Made me want one, at least briefly.

The movie The Cake Eaters has an 8x10 or 11x14 camera that is featured fairly prominently in a few scenes. Taking artsy pictures of Kristin Stewart, if that floats your boat. It's near the beginning of the movie if you bother to look for it.

The Notorious Bettie Page has a TON of old cameras including some Crowns / Speeds and is pretty hilarious to watch because the photographers are just clicking away in the shoots without flipping holders or cocking shutters.

Quote Originally Posted by awldune View Post
    The Notorious Bettie Page has a TON of old cameras including some Crowns / Speeds and is pretty hilarious to watch because the photographers are just clicking away in the shoots without flipping holders or cocking shutters.
    You would think that film makers, or at least the Director of Photography/Cinematographer would care more attention to detail when it comes to using cameras properly in a movie.

Or maybe they think that the viewers just don't care, or won't notice anything.

It's all up to the Director I guess. The cinematographer has no say in matters like that.

The assassination of Jesse James. Dont remember if there is any cameras in the movie or not but definately seems to be shot by someone into lg format photography. Its not a bad movie either

As I remember, there are lots of press camera action in the highly recommendable "LA Confidental". Gotta see it again soon.