Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Backpack case or whatever for Zion Trip

Backpack case or whatever for Zion Trip

Hi,
    This is my first post here in quite some time and I am very impressed by the level of knowledge I have found in these forums.
    I am going to Zion at the end of October and I will be bringing my Canon gear in a KATA backpack. I would also like to either take a Hasselblad film outfit or a 4x5 Linhof Technikardan-S or Wista SP metal folding camera with 4x5 film. I really don't know which backpack or case to purchase for the 120 or 4x5 outfit. I looked at the HPRC waterproof cases and backpacks on B&H and also the Think Tank carry-on luggage and backpacks on Adorama. If I take the 4x5, I will bring lenses of the following focall lengths - 65mm, 90mm, 110mm, 150mm, 210mm, and 300mm. I also notice KATA has bags that will accomodate 4x5 cameras and this may also work. I am 56 years old and I have a bad back and I am therefore going to wheel my gear around the trails in a B.O.B. Revolution Baby Stroller (Please try not to laugh).
    I appreciate any and all suggestions you fine people can provide.
    I would also appreciate any thoughts people have regarding Zeiss or Leica lenses on a Canon full-frame format DSLR. Currently, I am using the Leica-R APO 100mm f2.8 Macro and I find it to be vastly superior to my Canon optics.
    Many thanks,
    Mike

Re: Backpack case or whatever for Zion Trip

If I were in your shoes, I would go to photobackpacker.com. They make insert cases to fit into various models of hiking backpacks. By going this route, you could get inserts that could reconfigure to be used with either the hassy or your 4x5. You also get the benefit for your bad back of a proper backpack that will fit well and distribute the weight onto your skeleton. My Dad has a bad back and he finds this approach very comfortable.
    -Chris

I like my Osprey Sojourner--it is both a backpack and a carry-on w/handle & wheels. I got a backer board and some cases for my Wisner 4x5, 150mm, 210mm lenses and other stuff which attach to the backer board in a velcro-like system. Photobackpacker.com is the source of those materials.
    all the best,
    Peter Collins

On the intent of the First Amendment: The press was to serve the governed, not the governors --Opinion, Hugo Black, Judge, Supreme Court, 1971 re the "Pentagon Papers."

Run don't walk to photobackpacker.com. I took my 4x5 to Alaska with two lenses and a 6.45 setup. Great customer service and my emailed questions were answered very quickly. Very good product IMHO.

RF

Photobackapacker no question. Impressive service and impressive product.

Mike, I use a BOB 3-wheel stroller for my 8x10 gear. I laugh at those who DON'T use something to roll their gear instead of strapping it to their body.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Ted Mastrandonas

I used to photograph near my car. Now with my PhotoBackpacker setup I can easily hike with my 4x5 gear all day.

I found a Kelty Redwing from REI Outlet far more comfortable than the Jansport Equinox I had been using for the past three years. I got my Kelty two months ago, 1/2 off the regular price and shipping is free if it is sent directly to your local REI store.

I also found the Swiss Army salt and pepper surplus rucksack quite comfortable and it might work well with a 4x5.
    I tried one of these for my 8x10 but walking around jiggled the camera open and it became a royal hassle to extricate it from the pack in that configuration.

If the distance isn't far or you're looking for a case for storage in the car I've grown very fond of a US Army surplus 5 gallon water can cooler/transport bag for an over the shoulder camera bag. About $20 bucks (cheap!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Walter,
    The BOB 3 wheel stroller looks like the ticket. It is built like a German Panzer tank compared to most of the strollers I have seen. I wonder if I would be able to take my 4x5 and DSLR bags in one of these. This would be awesome.
    Thanks very much,
    Mike
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter Calahan View Post
    Mike, I use a BOB 3-wheel stroller for my 8x10 gear. I laugh at those who DON'T use something to roll their gear instead of strapping it to their body.

I visited Zion in June. I think even in October, I would try very very hard to make a camel back (and a large one) part of the kit. I easily drank 4 liters on a single hike.