Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interest in lens boxes

Re: Interest in lens boxes

Matt Blais pointed someone to the outdoor catalog of Cabela's...the fishing reel cases seem to work well.

S

What gap? For smaller lenses, the aforementioned reel cases work well, and for larger lenses, a Pelican-type hard case with the configurable dividers. A foam insert would also work well although I prefer the dividers.

Here's what I use for lenses on boards up to Sinar size:

http://www.pelican-case.com/1450.html

With this insert:

http://www.pelican-case.com/14paddivset.html

You can choose colors and there's a good sale on now. Pelican and the others (storm case, etc) make cases to accommodate single lenses, like the one for my 360mm Universal Heliar, up to sizes that would hold every lens you have unless you're Jim.

Cheers,

Steve

Etobicoke (west Toronto), west of the mighty Humber...

Here is a custom air type case with moveable velcro dividers made for me several years ago by Strebor of Alberta, Canada. They are unfortunately not making custom camera cases any more , but perhaps Alan or someone can make one... Is that Ebony case for Technica boards or Sinar?

When I was 16 I thought my father the stupidest man in the world; when I reached 21, I was astounded by how much he had learned in just 5 years!

-appropriated from Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    The very best plastic cases I have seen, and the ones I would prefer to see as the model for a commerical product, are those sold for handling and shipping semiconductor wafers. The minimum order number tends to be high though, so unless you have access to a fab or lab which is disposing of empties this isn't a solution for an individual.
    While you can't buy a small quantity of new wafer shippers, there are a number of places selling surplus ones where you can buy onsies and twosies. I really the shippers were made with larger slots so that they would hold filters.
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

Except for the ABS part, you've described the PhotoBackpacker system.

http://www.photobackpacker.com/mm5/m...ory_Code=RPT02

I have two of the "long" boxes (1150-4), one carries 4 lenses and an extra spacer that I use to make a little "box" for a few tools, and the other I got to carry packet film, but now use for up to 8 regular 4x5 film holders and space for an additional lens.

Drew
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

I've used the Photobackpacker system for some time now and find it well designed. They have both single and multiple lens boxes that are very well made. The cases they have for cameras are also excellent. They really do a nice job of protecting your gear. I recommend them.
    Cheers,
    Dave B.

Last year, I made a prototype lens box out of foamcore for my backpack. My original plan was to use something like plexi, and cut grooves in the walls for the lensboards. In my prototype, I used double strips of more foamcore glued onto the walls of the box. It's been working well enough that I still haven't made a more "finished" version yet. The box itself is glued together, with the joints strengthened with foil tape, which also is used for the lid's hinge. Closure is via a couple of bits of velco. See crappy photos below (poor light, show shutter, new digital)

The colour scribbles are courtesy of grandchildren, who had used the foamcore for painting, before I recycled it :}

So, after an investment of almost nothing, and a year of being stuffed in my bag, it's holding up remarkably well. You could do worse than give this a shot, especially if funds are at a premium!

\donw in Victoria

Hi Ron. Ebony and Photobackpacker came to the rescue! I've been using a pair of Ebony lens boxes for a year or so and they are excellent but if space is at a premium I use a PBP case.