Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What else is needed for 8x10?

Re: What else is needed for 8x10?

An 20x24 camera, as well. Grin

Get more film holders. Get a mule to schlep it all.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

May need a larger changing bag also.

I went from 4x5 to 8x10 about a year ago.

*Plastic sheets for 8x10 negative storage.
    *Bigger trays for tray processing (at least the developer). I always got overdevelopment on the edges when using an 8x10 tray for 8x10 film development.
    *Film!
    *Zip lock bag for the film holder. I didn't use individual bags for my 4x5 holders and things were fine, but when I went to 8x10, it seemed like the dust was getting from the outside of the holder to the film when I pulled the darkslide. Have not had any dust since using individual bags (holders are vacuumed before putting in to the bag).

Ummmmm,

Let me see what else could you possible need??? How about some FILM for that beast. :-) Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

I second the recommendation for Azo/Lodima and Amidol. Check out the Azo Forum and Michael Smith's writings @ michaelandpaula.com There is lots of info on Film, Developers, Development by Inspection, Thomas Safelights (yeah, you'll want one of those if you decide to use Azo/Lodima) they are like printing outside at mid-afternoon. You will also want to consider a contact printing frame or a vacuum easel to hold the negative and paper. Be sure to get a frame that is slightly larger than 8x10. You'll want room to get your fingers around the print/negative sandwich.

Have Fun!

a dozen film hangers & a deep tank will help you if you are into semi-stand development...
    Héctor Navarro Agraz

Joe,
    You are going to have fun!! Hope you have a strong back!! I took my 11x14 to 10500ft
    and found my breath was a little short, 8x10 isn't that much smaller. I would look at two things that have not been mentioned. BZTS tubes (you can make your own out of black PVC pipe) for developing. (They are great) and the possibility of printing with your computer. You would need a good scanner (if you have a reasonably good computer and printer) and you are in business. I have been scanning 4x5 negs and printing (Black & White)
    with very good results.
    Have Fun,
    Monty

I prefer souping 8x10 film in a Unicolor processor. That way you can enjoy a good Canadian beer in the light instead of having to keep your hands in the tray while in darkness
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    I prefer souping 8x10 film in a Unicolor processor. That way you can enjoy a good Canadian beer in the light instead of having to keep your hands in the tray while in darkness
    What size drum do you use? a few years ago I cleaned out an old darkroom, and i have about 15 drums of various sizes, styles and shapes on hand. Right now, I use a jobo 2551 drum and I ahve two unicolour motorized roller bases, so I am interested in your setup - chemistry, times, etc, etc - if you want to share it.

to Monty

-ah, er, well maybe not right away. I took my 4x5 to Independence Pass one year, and at 12,000 feet (or there abouts) I was real short of breath just hauling a tripod and camera almost did me in. 8x10 or 11x14 at this height - maybe if I have a few tanks of oxygen to drap along....

eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph O'Neil View Post
    What size drum do you use? a few years ago I cleaned out an old darkroom, and i have about 15 drums of various sizes, styles and shapes on hand. Right now, I use a jobo 2551 drum and I ahve two unicolour motorized roller bases, so I am interested in your setup - chemistry, times, etc, etc - if you want to share it.
    When I develop 8x10 film in drums, I use a Beseler 8x10 drum. It holds just a bit under 350ml of liquid. I use various developers and just subtract 15% off the development time to compensate for the continous agitation. The 8x10 Beseler drum also holds 4 - 4x5 negatives (as long as the drum still has the center strip). It's really come in handy since I've been doing color film in C 41.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Joseph, the 11x 14 print drum will take two sheets of 8x10 film, It's a tight fit but can be done. Tim Atherton told me and at first I didn't believe him but he is correct. One sheet will fit an 8x10 print drum nicely and there is room to spare with one sheet in an 11x14.
    Besides the beer thing, one advantage is that you'll use a lot less chemistry
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White