Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tank or tray

Re: Tank or tray

All sizes in tanks with hangers, trays for just one or two. It takes quite a commitment to obtain the Kodak hard rubber tanks and the stainless steel hangers, perhaps a reason that many use trays. Ever try semi stand in a tray?

A "daylight tray" works for me - a Paterson Orbital in other words.

Very economical with the chemicals, and very easy to use.

I use tanks and hangers mostly. I recently picked up a Jobo CPP, and I have been giving that a try, but I like dip and dunk tanks because I can decide what level of agitation to use based in the chemical or desired look.

--Gary

Downstairs

Kodak 3 gallon tanks with D76 - for 30 odd years. Mostly because of the steel hangers for sheets and the basket of spirals for rolls. I always regretted not laying out for gas agitation. Despite all the mumbo-jumbo around manual agitation, I never achieved an 8x10 without turbulent edges.
    Nowadays I get perfect edges in a Patterson Orbital over the kitchen sink. Added benefit to one-sheet-at-a-time development: You tend to think before you shoot. (I got some ten/eight Tmax today. $290 for 50 sheets)

Quote Originally Posted by ignatiusjk View Post
    This is for all the 4x5 film folks out there. What do you prefer tank or tray developement? I've tried both and I'm trying to increase the resolution of my b&w negs. I used to use HC110 Del b with my 120 Panatomic X and liked the results. I never got the same type of resolution from my 4x5 negs.
    I use homemade pvc tubes and pyrocat hd developer - 1.5/1/175 dilution for about 40min with initial agitation of 1.5 minute and 2 or thre short agitations at 1/3 or 1/4 intervals in the development cycle. You might want to do a search on apug - this development method has been well documented and discussed there. the mid tone local contrast from this method is remarkable, which gives the effect of greater detail and resolution.
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Turner Reich View Post
    Ever try semi stand in a tray?
    Bingo!

My preference is for tray development by inspection. I tried tanks and hangers, but could never get a negative to match those done by tray development.

I prefer trays for 4x5 and a Unicolor Processor with a print drum for 5x7 and larger. Why? For me, 4x5 is an easy format to shuffle (with some practice) and I've found the clippy thingys you need to do 4-up in the Unicolor drum kind of a hassle. All my ortho regardless of format gets souped in trays and developed by inspection under a red light.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White