I imagine this has been discussed before - i ran a search on some of the issues in my question and got some feedback, but couldn't find exactly what i was after.

I have bought a Gandolfi 8x10 which will arrive fairly soon. This is my first Foray into LF, but i am coming at it having used a MF RB67 for some years, and i am reading every book i can get my hands on re the subject.

I have Gitzo GT3540 Four stage Carbon Tripod and i am trying to make a decision (without the luxury of having the camera to look at and try out) re Heads.

I have asked a question before about attempting to use my MF RRS Ball head and i think the consensus was that the Gandolfi fully loaded would be way too much and would be ungainly and possibly catastrophic on a ball head.

Therefore i am looking at a Bogen 229 3d or a Gitzo 1570. I understand the Gitzo has two mounting points that would potentially make a more solid platform - The camera has two threads on the base which would line up - i am told.

In addition I have read on this forum that some people go with quick release plates however i don't imagine that to be the most solid approach - I might want to be able to put the whole set up together at the car and walk with it over my shoulder to my location (obviously not too far). the man who sold me the Gandolfi says to go for a head that could take 10KG as a max.....

So... any recommendations please re

1) which head is the best

2) whether quick release systems work at this level and if so which ones (remembering i already have a fair few of the RRS Plates knocking around....