Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interview

Re: Interview

Thank you Christopher, or should I say "mille grazie".

I love the slow approach of large format; it has helped me to develop an aesthetic I couldn’t have developed otherwise. After 20 years of large format you develop a certain confidence in the tools that can make you gain speed in the shooting stage
    This pretty much is my hope and the answer to my rambling in my previous post. This is what I hope will teach me a lot more about photography, driving me slowly into the place you are at right now:

[...] For all this time I have been using mainly large format cameras to medium format. I had become a snob toward the small format. I needed a more contemplative approach and that has served me well. With time I realized that I was missing life; I was missing the interaction with the fugitive spark that makes people alive, human.
    I spent some time re-reading the interview and browsing through your portfolio...
    I absolutely love your delicate approach to photography... everything feels to me almost as if it was a pencil drawing on a rough paper sketch book... There is one image that summarizes this feeling in my heart. The way the texture works its way in the image is absolutely breathtaking... I have been in Venice and I have found myself walking one early morning (around 6am) in a part of Venice that is very much authentic and not touristic... and this image reminds me so much of the dreamy feeling of that morning... you captured the essence of Venice in your portfolio... every single one of those few images is just perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Francesco Gallarotti View Post
    ... every single one of those few images is just perfect.
    Francesco, your comments are applicable to the images of the interview too - pure bliss. Composition transcended by authenticity, transcended by beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric James View Post
    Francesco, your comments are applicable to the images of the interview too - pure bliss. Composition transcended by authenticity, transcended by beauty.
    I wrote my previous comment three times before actually posting it... The reason being that in most of the other online communities I participate into, excessive praising is very common. Go to Flickr, and every decent image is praised as if it was a new photographic masterpiece. Since reading (and sometimes writing) so many of those useless praises I became more conscious about the process of writing a positive comment to someone else image. And I tend to do it only when I see true outstanding qualities that are unusual in some or many ways.

Domenico's work stroke me just as that. Maybe because being both Italians we see things in a similar way. Anyways, yes, his entire portfolio is outstanding. And the images in the article are mostly from his portfolio.

There are though images that I think I still cannot completely comprehend... and for now I won't even try commenting about them or ask questions. I look forward to the day in which I will be - in my path to photography enlightenment - in a place that will make me able to understand better

Francesco, IMHO becoming an artist has little to do with photography. It has to do with yourself and what you see and feel about the world around you. You might put the camera away for a while and go out and look at the world through your own sensibilities. What enchants you and what do you see that is unique? Later, think off and on about how you would convey your thoughts onto film. The process takes a lot of introspection on your part. The photograph is only the mechanical part, assuming you have mastered the equipment and the processing.

It's alarming, but sometimes after a unique vision of an image in the field I don't care if I ever see a print from that scene. The joy came from the seeing and the finding and from tasting that snapshot of life.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Ahhh...Ravenna!
    What a wonderful town!

Thank you for sharing this with us, it was a very interesting read.
    i love the electric wire pix!