Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What do I need? (Speed Graphic kind of thing)

Re: What do I need? (Speed Graphic kind of thing)

Paul since you have shot 35mm in the conditions that you favor (especially the dark ones) and should know approximately what F stops and shutter speeds you'll be shooting at, look at the link below and plug in your values selecting 4x5 under film format in the top line. Next plug in 135 under focal length (a normal lens for a Graphic) and F8 for a reasonably shallow depth of field for a decent hand holdable shutter speed depending on conditions, maybe not yours. Then put in whatever distance you want and hit compute. In the table below you'll see your dof at apertures. You can change the distances in the left hand column of the results table below. This table can be manipulated to show hyperfocal distances at any aperture of a specific focal length. Now if you like shooting in heavy overcast, rain or whatever, you plug in your values and see what the dof is. Remember, you may have to shoot at a very low shutter speed in order to get a reasonable DOF in dark conditions; You should know your values needed. From what I remember cause it's been awhile, going outside with a 35mm camera at twilight or to take pictures of heavy rain clouds with 100 ISO film, my shooting parameters were F4 or larger and if I was lucky 1/30th of a sec with a 50mm lens. Many times I shot slower and with a larger aperture and needed a tripod with the camera. Hand held LF down in the 1/2-1/15 sec range with 400 film and a 135mm lens could be very normal on rainy days and easily in twilight from what I remember. Hope you can use the info.

http://medfmt.8k.com/brondof.html

Many thanks, Wayne; it just re-enforced what I intuitively new to be true: At even moderate apertures in LF, you don't have enough DoF to get away with guessing distance like I do with my 35mm. But I will be printing out some tables and stuffing them in my bag

Well, I receive my Crown Graphic (top RF) with 135/4.7 lens. It seems to be in extremely good working condition and a casual check (no loupe) of the RF agreed with the GG. Only flaw I found so far is that the lens doesn't seem to want to go to 1/500, but I don't foresee that a whole lot anyway. Took me a bit to figure out how to open the dang thing.

I look forward to shooting a 55 or two the weekend and maybe some "real" film.

Sounds like a Graphex shutter. Typically, the highest speed ( above 1/200) requires tensioning an additional high-speed spring in the shutter mechanism; which can take quite a bit of oomph, given the tiny serrations on the speed ring.

Later, Bill

Try looking into the Busch Pressman D...

Max

Well now, got my crown, roamed around a little doing a little shooting. Used expired developer and fixer, but everything worked out ok. Lens has a hair of pincushion, but overall very nice for B&W. This kind of shooting would be troublesome with a field 4x5...

In your situation, if I had the cash to spare, I'd be all over that Busch Pressman in the For Sale section.
    Michael W. Graves
    Michael's Pub

If it ain't broke....don't fix it!

To maintain the retro look (like WeeGee)(don't forget the cigar!) it would be cool to mount a small electronic flash into the old graflex bulb flash. this would give fill light, let you shoot smaller apertures- for more depth of field, plus give you another grip on the camera.
    Not to mention lookin' cool!
    David Silva
    ps I love my 4x5 crown graphic.