Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: film exclusively

film exclusively

Anybody here do that? I mean, anyone here not own a digital camera? I have recently acquired another one...but I am just not as pleased with it as with MF or LF.
    I am thinking of giving it up and shooting 4x5 and up exclusively. But I still have that little problem with an acceptable scanner (16x20 and smaller exhibition prints), and the fact that I have yet to see (let alone produce) an inkjet print that is up to snuff with a silver version of the same. And even the labs print (real) black and white on color paper! Damn! I am a bit frustrated.

I have been told by a good friend and experience photographer that I will look silly as a professional without a digital slr in my arsenal, so to speak. But I just don't feel as good about what I do when I use the silly thing, although it is very good for what it is (D300). My $150 Speed Graphic a d 127mm Ektar, even when subjected to a scan with an Epson 4990, just makes me wonder why the hell I spent all that loot on a dslr. But, I have surmised that publications won't accept this. What gives??

Cutting to the chase, I know that shooting 6x6 and up will limit my client list drastically. But that is what I really want to do. I am ready to sell the damned thing and buy a Linhof. Crazy?

Re: film exclusively

I keep a digicam for copy work (mostly to put things on the web or to digitize documents), and for photographing things I want to sell on the internet, but other than that, it's all film. The Coolpix 990 has been fine for those purposes since I bought it new around 2000-2001.

I, personally, do not own a digicam.

Recently, I had to use one in a workshop. I borrowed a Canon 20D, and the experience was OK. But given a choice of where I would prefer to invest some mad money, it would more likely be in an 8x10 than in a digital.

My wife does, and I occasionally borrow it to make equipment pictures.

My wife owns an older Olympus 2 MP digital camera which we use to list stuff for sale online, but I personally don't own one. I use one at work (Nikon,) for stuff that mostly gets used on the web, but I don't own it. The girls both have Canon compact digital cameras but I use them pretty rarely (and mostly to show them how to take better pictures of their pets.) My son has an iPhone, which serves as his camera.

But for me, it's all film. Of course, I'm not a photographic professional: I get to do whatever I want. If you're a photo pro, you get to do mostly what the client wants. *Grin* That's why I'm not a pro.

Well, that plus the fact I'm not a very good photographer. And a worse printer. But I can still aspire to the moral high ground.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

My bride loves her digi and I have used it on occassion but I don't own one. I do have an Olympus Stylus and shoot B&W exclusively so the family snaps consist of both color (hers) and B&W (mine) What I find interesting is that I often get asked to photograph large family gatherings (weddings, baptisms, parties etc...) People still like the look of b&w film!
    If I ever buy a cell phone I'd like to get one with a digi though.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Few things are as pleasing as a tightly-fitting dovetail cut with a dozuki and finely-honed chisels, but I also own a router.

I view it as a case of the right tool for the right job. I own everything from a 1Ds to an 8x10. There are many commercial jobs I wouldn't think of approaching with film, and some where I push for it. Most of my clients have arrived at a point where they trust me to make the decision, or in some cases ask for film, because they know what it is capable of and where it really shines.

For my personal "artistic" work where my end goal is a print, I shoot film, most often large format. Content aside, I have seen some good ink prints (and a lot of astoundingly bad), and some good lightjet prints (and a few bad), and if my work was primarily color I might go the scan/print route. Since my personal work is black and white I prefer making my prints myself, and I find the darkroom process more cathartic and involving as an artist. Also, I can't make a cyanotype, cyanowhite, or platinum or silver contact print with a computer. I can try to imitate one, but to me it's just that, a silly imitation. With print making it boils down to an aesthetic, and what your real goals are. Nothing really good is easy, whatever work flow you choose, so choose what leads you to your desired end, and apply yourself accordingly.

I have also seen quite a few lackluster silver prints, and believe process alone can't make up for artistry, or photographic and technical skill. It's important to be in control of whatever process you use, and most of all, and what I see as most lacking, understanding what a good print is, and what gets you there. Those without this understanding are the ones who dismiss film, or dismiss digital out of hand.

I also feel unhappy shooting with a dslr as it does not compare in working process and quality to 5x4. It is useful on small jobs where there are budget restrictions. For me the only possible replacement is an arca swiss 6x9 with a high end digital back. Until the economy picks up I plan to continue with 5x4 trannie.

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    But that is what I really want to do. I am ready to sell the damned thing and buy a Linhof. Crazy?
    Nope! I gave up on the whole digital SLR thing some time ago. I say do what you want to do and let everyone else do what ever they want. My wife inherited my original digital Rebel, but shelved it in preference for an Elph, which she uses for all of our casual pictures. I don't use anything but my 4x5 and sometimes my 8x10 cameras anymore and I see no reason to carry something around that you don't want to use just because someone else thinks you should.

- Randy

For a pro - things are different. If I was wanting to make a transition to an all film, all LF professional existance, I'd work up a portfolio of LF film based work and transit existing clients to film or find new clients willing to go to film.

I'm not sure I'd just make the jump without prepping the market.

C