Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jobo Expert Drum Leaks - Ideas for Fix??

Jobo Expert Drum Leaks - Ideas for Fix??

I recently picked up a used expert drum that seems to have a very slow leak between the drum and the lid. There are no chips, cracks, dents or other point sources so I think it is because the tank has been used a lot. The leak is very slow, enough to make the joint wet, but not dripping. My guess is about 15ml during a 7 minute run. Not a big deal, but I would like to keep the drum roller dry as it is electric. Has anyone used a sealer/gel/lube/grease to make a tighter seal? Any other ideas, or is it something that you have to live with? Thanks -

Re: Jobo Expert Drum Leaks - Ideas for Fix??

I had a Beseler "thermos-type" drum and the instructions indicated that the seal on the lid could be lubricated with some vaseline jelly to ensure a water-tight seal (that worked fine but the rubber cap would still leak... ).

Interesting that the Expert drum has no seperate 'seal' per-say around the lid.

Michael Alpert

From what you posted, I cannot tell how much experience you have with Expert drums. The lids are very tight, and need to be pressed on firmly. Sometimes you need to press on the lid repeatedly at different places along the edge to get it into place. That is why the foot pump is needed to remove the lid. If you can remove the lid without a foot pump, I think the lid is perhaps not being pressed firmly enough.

Have you filled the drum with water and then turned it upside down (with the lid in place) to see where the leak is? Until you find it, I don't see how you can fix it. I would think that the drum would need to be very worn before it would start leaking.

I am going to post these thoughts, but I feel that I am not being very helpful. I am sorry that I do not have an easy solution to your problem. Best wishes.

Robert,
    The lid on that one fits very tightly. it needs to be pressed on straight and tight.

Brad.

Did a retest and it appears that the lid was not on enough to make a good seal, but then it was so difficult to remove that will be getting that pump real soon. Thanks -

Before the foot pump, I used to work slowly around the edge on the edge of a countertop. Tap a few times, rotate, tap a few more, rotate.

I used to use the water pressure form the kitchen sink. Slowly fill the drum with water...hold the faucet outlet directly and firmly over the tank inlet and eventually, the lid just kinda rises right off the drum. Works every time.

If too much pressure is used to remove the lid, it is possible to split one or more of the inner sleeves. Then you really have a problem. The foot pump is the safest method. An old fashioned bicycle pump works if used slowly.

I use very simple camping foot pump and it works OK.

I stole my wifes pilates ball foot pump- also works great, but the wife is not too happy about it (Im sure shell get over it in time)