Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting into Magazines...

Getting into Magazines...

Hello,

I don't know if this is the right place to put it, but getting your work published in magazines is definitely a way to lead to sales/business. So, to my question...

In the past few months I've seen a number of people get their work into various magazines, most recently Mr. Kosoff's great article in Shutterbug and Mr. Foschi in SilverShotz. I was wondering how all of your work is getting into publications like this? Are you setting up a website and just randomly being asked to provide work or are you actively searching out publications to publish your portfolio. I know I'm not to the point with my LF portfolio, but I just want to know how to get started when I do feel I get to that point.

Thank you ahead of time for your efforts in responding to my message. Please feel free to PM or e-mail me if that's the way you would like to respond.

-Brian

Re: Getting into Magazines...

I'm skeptical that having work in niche photo magazines would lead to more than a few print sales. It's more of a nice gesture by the photographers providing the free (or nearly so) content to the magazines. Kosoff/Foschi are helping the magazines far more than promoting themselves.

Aiming for wider circulation art and graphic design magazines can benefit your career, but SilverShotz and Shutterbug are only speaking to other photographers. Chances are they'll try copying your work more often than buying it!

The important thing to remember about marketing is that few, if any, publications are magic bullets to spur ahead your career on their own. Everything helps in an equally small way, so, yes, it all helps, but each thing probably won't get you very far by itself. The whole of your activities will produce something if you are persistent.

If you wish to submit work to magazines, go to their websites and look for something called "submission guidelines." That will tell you what you need to do to submit work to a magazine for their consideration.

A magazine publication is another line on your resume. It is not going to make or break your photographic career.

I understand that you can submit, what I'm asking is how they went about it.

Thanks,

-Brian

Directions for submitting portfolios are on the websites. The tricky part is having a portfolio that will attract an editor's attention. The best way is to read the magazines you're interested in submitting to---not just one issue but over the course of several months or even years. Then submit something "original."
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

I especially enjoy a magazine when it publishes the work of someone I know, either personally or online. But I'm constantly amazed by the strength and variety of work by photographers I've never heard of...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

just to join in on the conversation, i've been thinking about submitting to several magazines as well, recently B&W magazine, but i checked out a couple of their last issues and their reproduction quality is terrible. can anyone point me to a magazine or magazines that offer superior quality reproduction?

Submit submit submit. I don't think any editors are staying awake nights trying to find good content.

Most magazines have websites, and most of those have submission guidelines. Some will accept email submissions, some require physical mail. It'll be on the guidelines, or you can just ask.

If they like your work they'll publish it. I've had sales as a result, but never really made a lot as a result.

-B

I can't tell you much about the success rate of submitting articles to magazines, the work that I've had published, including the recent Shutterbug article, were requested or assigned by the publication. However I think that if you have a good article there would be interest. As for whether it's a good promotional device it can't hurt and anytime you get your name out, especially if it accompanies a good article or images, it has to be of some help.