Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Lodima Fine Art Paper

Re: Lodima Fine Art Paper

Quote Originally Posted by timbo10ca View Post
    Me too. No idea what to do with it yet, but I'll figure it out by the time it gets here (hopefully)... Bare bulb and no filtration... righto!

On their website, Michael and Paula have authored a series of instructional articles on silver chloride papers (Azo.Lodima) and there is also an Azo forum where a myriad of other questions have been asked and answered. Great resources at your finger tips.

Cheers!

Congrats to M & P. Placed my order!

Cheers,
    Geary

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kadillak View Post
    On their website, Michael and Paula have authored a series of instructional articles on silver chloride papers (Azo.Lodima) and there is also an Azo forum where a myriad of other questions have been asked and answered. Great resources at your finger tips.

Cheers!
    Thanks! I spoke with Michael when I placed the order, and he directed me there. All the info I need! I just have to find some Amidol now....

Tim

You can buy amidol from Photographic Formulary, Artcraft, or from Michael and Paula. Michael posted that he has more than he needs from the Chinese order and is willing to sell some for the price he paid for it plus shipping.

I'd take a look at Michael & Paula's original prints before you sign on to Amidol and their printing methodology. Beautiful prints, but I don't go for the same look in my own work. I find that Dektol and judicious toning makes for lovely prints on AZO without the insane prices of Amidol.

The big advantage of AZO for me wasn't any synergy with Amidol, but for the toning capabilities and the high DMax of the paper.

Holy smokes Amidol *is* pricey! The Formulary has a liter for almost $14- and it sounds like it's working solution, one-shot use only! They don't ship the dry Amidol powder to Canada, but I think the dry developer is OK- not sure what the differentiation is though (Maybe the one is pure Amidol, as it's sold by the gram, used in the dry developer ingredients?????). Is the Formulary Amidol powder the same as what would be used for their "Amidol for Azo" solution? How are these different from the Weston's amidol? I'm just wondering which one would be the best to use/order, because the dry developer seems reasonable, as long as you can make just one liter at a time (it sais it's packaged in seperate small packages, but not how many- I'd assume 10 packets for the one that makes 1-10 liters- I'll have to ask them). Is that stuff a straight mix, or do you have to add the other chemicals in Michael's recipe? I must ask Formulary what's up with the amidol per gram they have, unless someone here can shed light. Freestyle has the Formulary Amidol dry as well, but I'm unsure of shipping to Canada. I may have to look into the Dektol route (and I thought I heard Freestyle has an even cheaper alternative to Dektol and gives the same effect).

Tim

Holy smokes Amidol *is* pricey! The Formulary has a liter for almost $14- and it sounds like it's working solution, one-shot use only! They don't ship the dry Amidol powder to Canada, but I think the dry developer is OK- not sure what the differentiation is though (Maybe the one is pure Amidol, as it's sold by the gram, used in the dry developer ingredients?????). Is the Formulary Amidol powder the same as what would be used for their "Amidol for Azo" solution? How are these different from the Weston's amidol? I'm just wondering which one would be the best to use/order, because the dry developer seems reasonable, as long as you can make just one liter at a time (it sais it's packaged in seperate small packages, but not how many- I'd assume 10 packets for the one that makes 1-10 liters- I'll have to ask them). Is that stuff a straight mix, or do you have to add the other chemicals in Michael's recipe? I must ask Formulary what's up with the amidol per gram they have, unless someone here can shed light. Freestyle has the Formulary Amidol dry as well, but I'm unsure of shipping to Canada. I may have to look into the Dektol route (and I thought I heard Freestyle has an even cheaper alternative to Dektol and gives the same effect).

Tim
    Whooo there Timbo.

It is best to mix your own. You can purchase Amidol from JD Photochem in Canada for $99 per 1/2 pound. There is 227 grams in one half pound. In one liter you use 8 grams so this works out to 28 printing sessions or $3.53 per printing session. The Amidol lasts all day so make the best out of it. You will lose it to carryover before it goes bad. Been there and done that. The Chinese stuff is much cheaper and I have some as does Michael for people that want to find a lower price point.

All I can say is that the stuff works.

Cheers!

Tim,

If you are going to pay the $200/lb that Artcraft and the Formulary want for Amidol, make sure you DON'T get the Chineese Amidol. Folks like Michael Smith will sell you the Chineese Amidol for $50-$75 per pound. You can read about some of the issues surrounding the Chineese Amidol on the Azo forum. The Chineese stuff works, but it has some additonal hassles associated with it (like straining the developer and a deep burgandy color and turning the fix yellow which leads to yellow tinted prints....the yellow washes off, but I personally find it hard to judge the quality of the print with the yellow tint). I only use the Chineese stuff for proofing my negatives. Anytime I am going to make a "fine print" I reach for the Non-Chineese amidol.

Yes you need to buy the Citric Acid, Sodium SULFITE and Potassium Bromide.

I bought the chemicals in bulk and mix my own prior to each printing session. Keep in mind a little Citric Acid and Potassium Bromide go a VERY long way.

Some folks use Neutol WA or Ansco 130 with Azo. You might want to try these developers. I have used the Neutol WA 1:7 dilution with pretty good results, but I have never tried the Ansco 130.

Good luck and welcome to the wonder world of Silver Chloride paper. The Azo forum is a wealth of information. Check it out!

Tim
    The reason for high price per liter for the pre-packaged kit is that you get sealed bags for each compound. So you are paying a premium to have everything pre-measured for you. That kit should include everything for the MAS recipe.

As stated, the cost per liter does go down when you measure and mix your own.

Keep in mind that you can not mix the ingredients dry.

Since the Amidol developer cost works out to a small fraction of the paper price (even on light printing sessions), it does not really matter. Silver Chloride/Amidol prints would be worth it even at $14/liter developer costs. And the kit would be certainly worthwhile as an experiment.

Great info everybody- Thanks. Maybe I'll try the kit first to get things down, then try my own mixing (which I haven't done before with any chemicals).

Tim