Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dear Adobe

Re: Dear Adobe

Hmmmm....wonder if my scanners and printers will work with a 64 bit version. I was looking at a sweet 64 bit Vista machine with 8gb of ram. Would be nice to finally have Photoshop handle 1.5gb scans.

Richard M. Coda

Adobe is probably the best there is at software. I don't get any of the complaints, especially since I switched from Windows XP to Mac last year. Their software is very stable and I have made a lot of money using it. Quark, on the other hand, sucks. I have been using it since v3 and it still works the same, and it crashes frequently.

I do wish they would make the toolsets and shortcuts the same across ID, AI, and PS. Flash could be easier to use, but they've only had that a short time. And, I agree that Bridge is a waste... I especially wish they would move "Browse" away from "Open" in the menus... I accidentally slip and hit Browse sometimes and then have to wait for Bridge to open. Put it at the bottom of the menu where it belongs.
    Photographs by Richard M. Coda
    my blog
    Primordial: 2010 - Photographs of the Arizona Monsoon
    "Speak softly and carry an 8x10"
    "I shoot a HYBRID - Arca/Canham 11x14"

3d Visual Effects artist

Quote Originally Posted by Richard M. Coda View Post
    Their software is very stable
    yes, photoshop is quite stable! Always has been, from as far back as I can remember. I think that's because they wait a year or two before they implement 'new features' even though the technology is already there for the features. That's my guess anyway.
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Buck View Post
    yes, photoshop is quite stable! Always has been, from as far back as I can remember. I think that's because they wait a year or two before they implement 'new features' even though the technology is already there for the features. That's my guess anyway.
    Agreed. I can't remember the last time Photoshop crashed for me.

I work with 1.6G scans a fair bit and CS3 leaks memory and I have the odd crash - on both a mac and PC platform. I don't find it that stable when you push the envelope.

As for "launching" Acrobat, are you starting it from your browser with an on-line file or opening a file on disk? I know Acrobat takes awhile opening an on-line file because it has to load almost the entire file before displaying, so you're getting the download time and not the launch time. Loading from a file on disk only takes a few seconds for me, from small file (<1Mbyte) to large ones (>10 Mbytes). And I don't get the popup windows because I set Adobe CS3 to check for updates weekly (Sundays) and don't see any in between, loading any on-line PDF.
    --Scott--

Scott M. Knowles, MS-Geography
    scott@wsrphoto.com

"All things merge into one, and a river flows through it."
    - Norman MacLean

3d Visual Effects artist

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hutton View Post
    I work with 1.6G scans a fair bit and CS3 leaks memory and I have the odd crash - on both a mac and PC platform. I don't find it that stable when you push the envelope.
    What are the specs on your machines? I work with large files quite often as well (scans, as well as large digital stitches with many layers), although photoshop slows down when you run out of ram and it has to swap things to the drive alot, it doesn't ever (or very very rarely) crash on me. At work, our 3d programs and 2d compositing programs crash regularly, but photoshop is the stable rock.
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

Folks,

Has anyone used this application on their Mac?

http://www.pixelmator.com/

jim k

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel_Buck View Post
    What are the specs on your machines? I work with large files quite often as well (scans, as well as large digital stitches with many layers), although photoshop slows down when you run out of ram and it has to swap things to the drive alot, it doesn't ever (or very very rarely) crash on me. At work, our 3d programs and 2d compositing programs crash regularly, but photoshop is the stable rock.
    CS3 has memory leaks. It works well most of the time but occasionally it will get confused. I can't believe Adobe would release a product with memory leaks, especially one that is so pricey and has such a large user base.

Don Bryant

jim k,

although it's not for me (I don't have a Mac [yet? ]), I've looked at it. Seems interesting, but nowhere did I find any mention on supported bit-depth of the images. Does it work with 16-bit per channel files? I save all my files as 16-bit p/c JPEG2000, have used this format for several years. It saves a lot of space in the long run (compared with TIFF/PSD. There are very few other formats supporting higher bit-depth). And this pixelmator seems to be reading them (at least as per specification).
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

@ Google+ | @ Facebook | @ flickr

My books @ Blurb (only heavily outdated "Serene Landscape").