Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Dear Adobe

jetcode

Re: Dear Adobe

That's so funny it's not funny at all but it made my day for sure ...

Now Acrobat does some kind of indexing/whatever operation and pops up a dialog box right in the middle of the document I am trying to read, and the updater from hell, etc.

It's getting so the first hour of every boot deals with the machine I lost to software vendors.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Hutton View Post
    I work with 1.6G scans a fair bit and CS3 leaks memory and I have the odd crash - on both a mac and PC platform. I don't find it that stable when you push the envelope.
    Ditto, I have a Mac Pro dual quads with 8 gigs. After going through Adobe hell (India) to get a new Mac version of CS3, it crashed the first hour after installing. However, it's only crashed a couple of times since the original install but one time did require a hard reboot of the Mac.

The reality, at least for me, is that certain functions in Photoshop (sharpening, HDR processing, stitching) are all performed better and with more efficient use of memory by other software programs. I don't find I can execute a file from scan or download to save, in one software program. Photoshop is just another necessary evil.

Preston Birdwell

"how do you check for memory leaking?"

Your shoes slip on the floor when you get up to get a beer?

-P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Quote Originally Posted by PViapiano View Post
    Someone mentioned Adobe prices? Well, yes, they're very expensive...and it's not just the upfront purchase, it's the annual update subscription usually around $200, so in ten years you've shelled out $600-700 plus $1200-1500 in updates.

Digital photography is like this now as well..."upgrade now because that 3 megapixel cam is terribly inadequate...upgrade now because that 16 megapixel cam is inadequate"...it just a subscritpion that keeps going and going. Same with printers and the rest of the equipment list...basically it's just good for the retailers, manufacturers and the folks who write off gear on their taxes.
    Please excuse me for being a bit slow here, but what subscription are you referring to? I've been using Photoshop since version 3 and have purchased every major update that came out since then, but I was never aware of any subscription model.

In my business at least, I find that keeping my software and hardware up to date has a noticeably beneficial impact on my bottom line. Since those are my main tools of the trade, I can write them off my taxes in the same way you do with your cameras. Or film, for that matter, if you still use it professionally.

It is very simple really - if you think it is too expensive, then you don't really need it.

Actually, I've been using my current DSLR for almost three years now and I still find it pretty adequate and up to my requirements and the "upgrade police" has yet to knock on my door in the middle of the night.

Just like the film cameras, digital stuff does not come with an expiration date. It is only the professionals who need to keep their tools current, but they also get to expense it and to write it off. The amateurs can safely keep playing with what they have as long as what they have keeps working or until they start feeling constrained by it, whichever comes first.

CS4? I am still learning CS3!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mdd99 View Post
    CS4? I am still learning CS3!
    CS3? I'm still learning CS2!

I can't see any pic

I honestly have not seen a really valid reason for me to upgrade my Photoshop in years. And I am still using version 7 at home and CS3 (paid for by company) at work. I use Lightroom for my raw handling, and 7 to do the slight editing I need to do. Though I am a proponent of getting the image as close to perfect in the camera, so post processing is kept to a minimum. But what tools in the newer versions are applicable to my needs? I have yet to find one that I find "necessary" to be honest. Since I still shoot a lot of film in my personal work, I keep the image crafting on the camera side, and not the digital side of things. At work I shoot all digital, and find I still just don’t use many of the added tools in the CS series of Photoshop’s. Heck... most of the tools I am using are from Photoshop 4 and 5.5 days. It just seems to be by buying the newest greatest version I would just be throwing my money away.
    Søren

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams-

Quote Originally Posted by Marko View Post
    Please excuse me for being a bit slow here, but what subscription are you referring to? I've been using Photoshop since version 3 and have purchased every major update that came out since then, but I was never aware of any subscription model.

In my business at least, I find that keeping my software and hardware up to date has a noticeably beneficial impact on my bottom line. Since those are my main tools of the trade, I can write them off my taxes in the same way you do with your cameras. Or film, for that matter, if you still use it professionally.

It is very simple really - if you think it is too expensive, then you don't really need it.

Actually, I've been using my current DSLR for almost three years now and I still find it pretty adequate and up to my requirements and the "upgrade police" has yet to knock on my door in the middle of the night.

Just like the film cameras, digital stuff does not come with an expiration date. It is only the professionals who need to keep their tools current, but they also get to expense it and to write it off. The amateurs can safely keep playing with what they have as long as what they have keeps working or until they start feeling constrained by it, whichever comes first.
    Of course, by subscription I mean the very updates that come out on an annual basis. I was being sarcastic...

Actually most pros don't upgrade every single time something new comes out. It's the wealthy amateurs who keep the business going. The pros know that the equipment they have still works great and continues to make them money. At a certain level, it's not the gear.

Also, pros (if they want to stay in business) need to follow a business plan that balances income and expenditures. The vast majority of pros do not make enough money to justify upgrading their equipment every single year. They need to follow their plan. The ones who are shooting for the major magazines, of course, have money to burn and definitely sink a huge amount back into their biz.

The companies know that everything you'd ever need is built-in to a camera nowadays already, that's why they start to include stuff like GPS, wireless transmission and now, HD video. It's all a very cool gee-whiz factor and could be useful for some, but for creative image making...nah, don't need it.

Of course, by subscription I mean the very updates that come out on an annual basis. I was being sarcastic...

Actually most pros don't upgrade every single time something new comes out. It's the wealthy amateurs who keep the business going. The pros know that the equipment they have still works great and continues to make them money. At a certain level, it's not the gear.
    I was under the impression we were talking about software here, not the equipment... Either way, no need to be sarcastic. Even car manufacturers come up with "new and improved" models every three years or so but that doesn't mean we have to "update", does it? They're just minding their business, just like we do ours.

Now as for upgrading the software, a photographer obviously does not need to buy every photoshop upgrade that comes out. The fact that the software companies do come out with new versions every 18 months or so has nothing to do with the need, much less with subscription, as you put it, as some sort of mandatory participation.

But there is very little doubt about the need for prompt upgrades for those of us whose business entails cooperation with other authors who may be using any version from recent memory.

Also, pros (if they want to stay in business) need to follow a business plan that balances income and expenditures. The vast majority of pros do not make enough money to justify upgrading their equipment every single year. They need to follow their plan. The ones who are shooting for the major magazines, of course, have money to burn and definitely sink a huge amount back into their biz.

The companies know that everything you'd ever need is built-in to a camera nowadays already, that's why they start to include stuff like GPS, wireless transmission and now, HD video. It's all a very cool gee-whiz factor and could be useful for some, but for creative image making...nah, don't need it.
    You know, it is always the poor and the mediocre that ridicule the wealthy and successful, the latter are too busy working on getting even more rich and successful.