Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Digital Dead......

Is Digital Dead......

......... or destine to die.
    Will the success of digital photography be it's downfall?

Re: Is Digital Dead......

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
    ......... or destine to die.
    Will the success of digital photography be it's downfall?
    Pass that blunt over .....

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Hey, don't bogart it...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

As someone who deals with it everyday, the digiheads are shooting 3000 photos, standing at Walmart for hours trying to decide what to save and/or print. They can't tell in the field what is good or bad. Uneducated wedding photogs are shooting 3000 pics and putting them on cd, handing them to the bride, and then beating it out of the wedding. Good luck bride. No backup equipment, no real experience, no insurance, no contract, just wish and hope. Digiheads are shooting Thanksgiving pics, then deleting them Christmas time because they have no plan to save or organize pics. Lots of digiheads are losing all they shoot because their cards go bad. Oops, forgot they were still working when they got unplugged! Lots of soccer moms are giving up digitial and going back to film, since they cannot get pics of volleyball, wresting, football, or cheerleaders, with their 1500 dollar digitial cameras, but somehow that Fuji Readyflash 1000 disposable camera for 6.95 takes great pics, even for the yearbooks. And gosh they get negatives and prints, too! Maybe even a cd if they want! And hey, that old film camera we have can be totally overhauled for 89-109 dollars but they want 279 dollars on up to fix our digitial slr. What? Kodak shot themselves in both feet at the same time and are now dying?

....shouldn't this be smoked in the lounge.
    Greg Lockrey

Wealth is a state of mind.
    Money is just a tool.
    Happiness is pedaling +25mph on a smooth road.

I am at the beginning of my career and I have the opportunity to take a full time contract position shooting architecture. The pay sucks, the hours are long, and the sacrifices are huge. Just trying to figure out what for. I know what I want it's just a question of wether or not it will be an option when I am ready.

sigh...

and some of us digiheads have shot film for 25 + years, and continue to shoot digital just as we did film.... calculating proper exposure, understanding light and composition...

it's only camera.. a tool..

a bad photographer is a bad photographer whether they use film or digital.... as is a good one.

this seems silly not to already be in the Lounge

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Bagbey View Post
    As someone who deals with it everyday, the digiheads are shooting 3000 photos, standing at Walmart for hours trying to decide what to save and/or print. They can't tell in the field what is good or bad. Uneducated wedding photogs are shooting 3000 pics and putting them on cd, handing them to the bride, and then beating it out of the wedding. Good luck bride. No backup equipment, no real experience, no insurance, no contract, just wish and hope. Digiheads are shooting Thanksgiving pics, then deleting them Christmas time because they have no plan to save or organize pics. Lots of digiheads are losing all they shoot because their cards go bad. Oops, forgot they were still working when they got unplugged! Lots of soccer moms are giving up digitial and going back to film, since they cannot get pics of volleyball, wresting, football, or cheerleaders, with their 1500 dollar digitial cameras, but somehow that Fuji Readyflash 1000 disposable camera for 6.95 takes great pics, even for the yearbooks. And gosh they get negatives and prints, too! Maybe even a cd if they want! And hey, that old film camera we have can be totally overhauled for 89-109 dollars but they want 279 dollars on up to fix our digitial slr. What? Kodak shot themselves in both feet at the same time and are now dying?

3d Visual Effects artist

Quote Originally Posted by Jim collum View Post
    it's only camera.. a tool..

a bad photographer is a bad photographer whether they use film or digital.... as is a good one.

this seems silly not to already be in the Lounge
    couldn't agree with you more, on all 3 points
    Daniel Buck - 3d VFX artist
    3d work: DanielBuck.net
    photography: 404Photography.net - BuckshotsBlog.com

I strongly suspect that folks who take snapshots will continue to shoot digitally, and the technology for sorting and storing will improve over time. I also strongly suspect that pros will shoot both, depending on their needs. Although, I shoot only film because at this time my work is strictly for galleries, cafes and the like. Just like vinyl LPs, film will eventually see a resurgence among a segment of the population who will consider it a more pure form of the art. Hopefully, there will be enough film manufacturing companies that will survive that long.

--Gary

The rapid obsolescence of digital gear is a problem. You can now get a point-and-shoot that has the same resolution of the more expensive "top of the line" slr you bought just 6 mos ago. And soon, you wont shoot stills in digital since picture frames can display moving images.