Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long trek ; equipment choice

Long trek ; equipment choice

How about a lightweight 6x9 view, such as the Arca-Swiss or the Linhof. I know this is expensive, but with the money you're spending on this trip, maybe it's worth it. Everything's smaller and lighter with 6x9, the lenses, the camera takes up less room, you don't need as hefty a tripod, film is more convenient and more easily changed, etc. And, you can still come away with some great photos.

Long trek ; equipment choice

While I would also recommend the Canham DLC, but the Toyo, if it works easily with the 90mm and the 300mm, will also be suitable. I also second the recommendation of a 6x9cm and a 6x12cm back instead of 4x5 holders. Roll film has many advantages: More exposures per weight, less problems with dust and probably easier times in the airport and you'll still make very high quality images. The downside of using 6x9 instead of 4x5 is that you'll need a 65mm to equal the horizontal coverage of the 90mm on 4x5. bringing along a 6x12cm back will negate that but of course you'll lose the vertical coverage.

I also strongly advise you replace the Manfrotto with a Gitzo 1325 or 1349 tripod.

For some portraits of various peaks, you'll be using the 300mm on 6x9cm (roughly equivalent to a 500mm or 600mm on 4x5) quite a lot. Hey here's an idea! Swap the 300mm lens for a Nikon 360mm T-Nikkor. Since this lens is a telephoto design, you'll need less bellows draw and if you use roll film the smaller image circle won't matter. If you don't have much experience with the 6x17cm format I'm not sure I'd recommended it. Composing effectively in that format is very different from more square rectangular formats.

I haven't been to Nepal but I just finished editing and organizing a photo library for a photographer who has been to Nepal 18 times over the past 24 years and have a couple of very good friends who are Sherpa.