Re: Post Your Waterfalls

Quote Originally Posted by mathomas View Post
    That is really gorgeous!
    Thanks, Mike.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Gjain waterfalls in Iceland

This site was a bit of an adventure, requiring a few km drive down a road that really wanted a 4x4, not our little Skoda. The steep path down to the falls, though, were uncharacteristically well groomed and lined with large bricks for plenty of traction. I would have loved a view about 20' to the right but would have been standing in the middle of the river. My iPhone had died by this point (and I forgot my analog stopwatch at home) so I guessed at the reciprocity time and manually counted the shutter time.

Honestly, I've been a bit frustrated with Ektar film. I've gotten a lot of super wonky colors when scanning it - infinitely harder than scanning Provia (which I've shot about 10 sheets of). Obviously I need to spend some time on the forums here and find some suggestions.

Camera: Wista 45DX
    Lens: Rodenstock APO Sironar-N 210mm 5.6
    Film: Kodak Ektar 100
    Exposure: ISO 100, f45, 12 seconds manually counted (decided on 2 seconds after metering, 6 seconds with the polarizer)
    Movements: Some front fall, circular polarizer
    Developer: Tetanal C-41 kit, mixed chemicals at the end of their suggested life, processed according to instructions

Gjain waterfalls in Iceland by Don Kittle, on Flickr

It's a gorgeous image, and I recognize your trouble scanning negative film. It's just more iffy in terms of color correction than transparency film, which is really straightforward. Maybe if you bump the blue channel (or dial put yellow) a bit in this one things will improve.

A couple things. One is the scan software probably matters more in color negative in your ability to use. I find epson scan much easier to use for instance than silverfast, though not as feature rich. I'm not able to view this on a calibrated monitor and it is significantly different between my two screens. On my laptop's built in screen which probably doesn't have any bias, The balance does not appear to be universally off which means that you may need to apply a curve to each channel to correct this, not a mass blue-yellow shift to levels. To my eyes the shadows appear to be shifted slightly, but are closer to neutral than the highlights. The mid seems to have a bit of a blue shift. The highlights appear to have both a blue and cyan tint. So back to the editing software. I would take your red channel and pin the middle to 128. I would pull the highlights up slightly until the cyan starts to go out of the whites. If the shadows shift, pull them back onto the neutral line. Then go to the blue channel and pull the curve down slightly in the mid and highlights until they look more neutral.

[IMG]Thomason Foss, North Yorkshire Moors by Alasdair Matthews, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Thomason Foss taken on 5x4" Fuji Velvia with a Lee polarizer and 0.3 ND. Schneider 58mm F 5.6 Super Angulon XL with an MPP Micro Technical Mk. VI

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

untitled - Yosemite, 2016

The name of this waterfall (Cascade?) escapes me at present but it is along the 120 entrance to the valley. It wasn't flowing as dramatically as I have seen it in previous years but I shot it anyways just to see what it would look like printed as a cyanotype.

Thomas

[IMG]Whangerei Falls, North Island New Zealand by Alasdair Matthews, on Flickr[/IMG]
    Whangerei Fall, North Island New Zealand, Taken on Ilford Delta 100 (developed in Id-11) with a Schneider 150mm F5.6 Apo Symmar MC on an MPP Micro Technical Mk.VI

Really nice work Don, Alasdair, and Thomas!

Thomas -- yes, Cascade Creek. I have a similar image from the same spot. I had a couple young good looking gals under the 8x10's darkcloth with me at one point.

BB -- your Whangerei Fall is wonderful -- sparked a memory, but turns out I was thinking of a different fall (Rainbow Fall near Kerikeri).
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Yep - Cascade Creek. Every spring I stop and check it out and I was hoping for a dramatic flow this year but either missed it or it wasn't flowing as in years past. Here's another one from the same trip:

Wildcat Falls - Yosemite National Park, 2016.

I printed this a couple of days ago as a split-toned Kallitype for a black tonality and am glad that I made that toning choice. This was a 25 second exposure on 8x10 Delta 100 with a 300mm Nikkor-W - the "red D" one. It's also posted in the Kallitype thread.

Thomas