Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chamonix Reflex Viewer

Re: Chamonix Reflex Viewer

I strongly doubt that you could use a loupe with the reflex viewer. It is used to compose the image, but has to be removed before you can use the loupe on the groundglass. I was a bit worried about how easyly and quickly that can be done, because if it is too fiddly, I won't use the reflex viewer. But since it is attached by some quick-lock device, there shouldn't be any problem.
    You can of course use a loupe with the folding viewer.

Quote Originally Posted by Anupam View Post
    The folding viewer looks great for composing, but I wonder if there is a way to use a focusing loupe with it. Anyone used it yet?
    It's not possible to use a loupe with the folding hood--that's probably the biggest draw back. I wonder if it'd be possible to come up with a long tubed loupe of the same approximate magnification? That would be handy. The viewer is easy to put on and take off, but it's inconvenient constantly removing and replacing while checking critical focus and making adjustments.

I didn't see what either is in the link posted above... would someone kindly provide a photo of the folding type?

Quote Originally Posted by Rafael Garcia View Post
    I didn't see what either is in the link posted above... would someone kindly provide a photo of the folding type?

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...amonix+folding

Thanks!

Quite frankly this thing looks pretty useless, you can't really get any closer to th gg than it is long. I was thinking something more along the lines of a bag bellows would be more functional for close focusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Rabe View Post
    Quite frankly this thing looks pretty useless, you can't really get any closer to th gg than it is long. I was thinking something more along the lines of a bag bellows would be more functional for close focusing.
    I guess it depends on the lighting conditions and your eyesight, but I'd say it's useful with some limitations. A bellows type hood would be great, so it could be compressed enough to use a loupe.

I used a crown graphic for a long time before I got the Chamonix, and I was happy with the folding hood for 95% of my shots. Including precise focussing! You just can't beat the compact size of that.

I use a pair of reading glasses with a flip down 3x magnifier attached. I don't use a loop at all. But with a bag bellows I could squeze into 3-4 inches from the GG which is where the magifier focuses at.

Ron Miller

Peter,

I received the Chamonix Reflex Viewer a few days ago (backorder from July/August shipment) . It is a demo version which was sent so that I would have it for my vacation. My copy was suppose to be 95% of the end product but I will say that it is solid and I would say 100%. I don't have a scale but it feels about the weight of a DD fidelity film holder. You attach it using the 4 screwheads (not really what they are but I don't know the name) you use to attach the GG protector. You slide it over them and then lock them using 2 sliding screws much like the 2 screws on the bottom of the front standard that you move side-to-side to allow tilts. It locks to the GG pretty easily and mine does not fall off. A little extra pressure to remove is needed. It swings around for portrait or landscape or any other angle with ease and stays there without moving.

It's solid and does what it is suppose to do. And attaches/detaches easily enough. Mine did not come with a pouch or anything to put it in and that would be nice. I'll find something though. It's pretty dusty in the canyons.