Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need a spot meter, what is recommended

Re: I need a spot meter, what is recommended

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Per Vaughn, the ground glass works really well ;-) but with a dslr used as a Polaroid/Meter you have to make educated guesses and fudge to translate focal lengths and formats, but it isn't that hard if you have a lick of common sense. It beats spending $4 a sheet on Polaroid that doesn't exist anymore anyways....

A 1983 Nikon F3 meters better than 99.99% of all the photographers ever in existence, and over the past 25 years Nikon has made their metering even better. I'm pretty darn happy looking at a histogram. But if you wanted to be super anal about spot readings, it makes sense that the spot metering mode and a long tele lens would be the most ultimate spot metering system ever, far tighter than even the Pentax 1 degree could ever get.
    Oh polaroid can be bought, but you have to fork out a cheap 8X10 used camera for a box of it off Fleabay

The DSLR solution sounds easily manageable. Afterall, this isn't exactly a fast process, though the press seemed to use them like 35mm cams back in the day and they did some darn good images.

I think Pentax has a very good meter in the K1000 if I am not mistaken and the 16-45mm would do the trick as a decent zoom. It would be something worth hauling along as I don't like anything I get with a digital camera-great screen shots, but monotonous (word?) looking prints vs. film based ones. Too bad I don't like the metering in my rangefinders used in past.

Finally have some sun and time to go make some photos over the weekend...

Consider a Luna Pro with spot meter attachment. This is an often over looked meter these days. They are very good meters and can be found on ebay in good condition.

Don Bryant

grumpy & miserable Joseph O'Neil's Avatar

Pentax Analog spot meter ( I have two of them now), and my Nikon digital SLR in a pinch.
    I do not disagree with others about the use of a DSLR for metering, but for me, I find the analog Pentax more intuitive to use, and the results suit me pretty good. Your milage will vary

joe
    eta gosha maaba, aaniish gaa zhiwebiziyin ?

Quote Originally Posted by ckruvand View Post
    My Soligor spot meter is a piece of junk...
    Sorry. I have two of them and mine are fine. Maybe yours just needs a repair or adjustment.

Eric Biggerstaff

How about one of those neat little "Pocket Spots" from Metered Light, I always wanted one of those. Is Metered Light still around?
    Eric Biggerstaff

www.ericbiggerstaff.com

Ron Miller

Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Consider a Luna Pro with spot meter attachment. This is an often over looked meter these days. They are very good meters and can be found on ebay in good condition.

Don Bryant
    The Spot meter attachment for a Luna Pro has 2 settings (7.5 and 15 degrees). I'm looking at mine now.

Eric Woodbury

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Biggerstaff View Post
    How about one of those neat little "Pocket Spots" from Metered Light, I always wanted one of those. Is Metered Light still around?
    Yes, Metered Light is still around. Look here for info:

http://meteredlight.blogspot.com/

Looks like Metrolux production is about done and there are a few light meters available.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

The Sekonic spot-incident meters -- can be used for incident and also flash. Pricey but if you're going to get something, might as well make it last and be useful for other situations.

The Pentax spotmeter has a cult following which puts an unjustified premium on the price. But your Soligor probably just needs a tune-up.

I have been using a Nikon SLR as a light meter + composition tool since I started doing LF photography few years back. I thought I would try using the SLR and would purchase a light meter if I feel the need. I never did. Recently I upgraded to a Nikon DSLR. Here are the advantages of using a DSLR as a light meter:

Pros:
    1. Different types of metering including spot, matrix, center weighted, etc.
    2. Great composition tool. The zoom lens could be set to the equivalent LF focal length by using a conversion chart or by memorizing the focal length conversions for the 3-4 lenses that one frequently uses. I use 4 LF lenses, so I have memorized the focal length conversions between each LF focal length and the equivalent DSLR focal length.
    3. Instant feedback to use the histogram and to check for and avoid blown highlights.
    4. Easy way to get the appropriate exposure data when filters are used. I attach the same filter to the DSLR lens, take the readings and then transfer the filter to the LF lens. This is especially useful for GND filters where the filter compensation could not be calculated by a conversion factor or a formula because it depends on the position of the GND filter and the aperture setting.
    5. Use of white balance to avoid color casts, e.g. in the shadows.
    6. Automatic recording of the exposure data.

Cons:
    1. Weight - a light meter is lighter than the DSLR + lens combo.
    2. Volume/bulk - a light meter is smaller than the DSLR + lens combo.
    3. Price - although price difference exists, it is getting smaller.

In my case, currently the pros outweigh the cons.

// Atul